🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've seen videos on YouTube of people waterproofing their pointers. They did some stuff to the cap, speaker, and button. I don't think I've seen anyone dip the whole thing in rubber coat. I suppose it would work, but how would you change the battery in the future?

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dunno about the tape. Depends on what kind. Electrical tape would be a bust. That crap fails on me every Christmas season. Doesn't like water.

What about a waterproof dive bag? Seems easier and you can change the battery in the future.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously? Heavy duty Ziplock bag, and duct tape - FINITO!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't even need the duct tape. Instead of a ziplock bag, you can also get plastic tubing on a roll with an inexpensive ($16 or so) heat sealer. Can seal it in a custom baggie. Any time you need to change batteries or if the baggie gets worn, just tear it off and replace it with new. Can get many different diameters of the tubing. Also, another fringe benefit is, it'll float!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the shrink tube idea! I just used some yesterday while rewiring the tail light on my Indian.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Only problem with shrink tubing would be in getting a decent water-tight seal on the ends. ...Unless it were somehow folded over itself and then taped or something. ...Do they even sell longer lengths of shrink tube?

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Check out the aquachigger channel on youtube, I know he's been using a waterproofed black carrot for a long time and I assume he's changed the battery in the meantime. His video about that modification is somewhere in his videos, I think it was called "waterproofing a Garrett at pro pointer" or something like that.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoe goo is how we all did ours for years before the carrot came out. My old one is still water proof. Garrett made the new one because we all were using shoe goo. Just the speaker and button is all you need to do.
The battery end has a rubber gasket that holds on its own.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also when you do the shoo goo go all the way around it. Keep a bowl of wet water to dip your fingers in and you can make it a smooth surface also barely go over the light when you go around. Beau or aqua chigger in the link above shows it when you get to Youtube google aqua chigger and shoe goo. Great guy! I actually cut a piece of Tyvec to fit over my button then applied the shoe goo.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the new and not so waterproof AT "carrot". The first one lasted 100 days and drowned at the beach. Garrett graciously repaired it free but I don't think they addressed the problem, the black plastic button part. After much use it cracks in the seam where you can't see. I drowned it for the second time in the river about 100 days after getting it back from repair the first time. Luckily it was fresh water so I pulled the battery, opened it up, pulled out the guts (only 1 screw holds it in) and cleaned it with 90% rubbing alcohol and put it in front of the fan for 2 days. Rice would have been ok too (electronics cleaner is best but I didn't have it on hand). There are many variations to waterproof these pointers. I like the food storage bags. Vaccum one, cut it neat, drop it in a second bag vacuum it and tape it up with duct tape on the business end to protect the bags from abrasion. I bet a pointer length section of bike inner tube with a knot at each end or a fold over and zip tie at the bottom to keep the coil close to targets would work well as its tough rubber, easy to work with and waterproof. I love the inner tubes and use them as shoulder straps on all my detectors. Silicone or a comparable product over the button seam would be fine as well. The end cap is water proof I think. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the black cap and the orange body? Mine definitely did not come with one.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put it in a black box off a airline, that would really make it hard for water to get in:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3356.JPG

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a food saver and vacuum seal it

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tnmountains - good looking job!!
I would have used Aquaseal - a neoprene rubber glue, that is for wetsuits, waders, etc, that doesn't scab off, is flexible
in very cold temps, and durable. You must assume that the probe will never be honored for warranty at Garrett, after that treatment,
BUT is very likely NEVER to have leakage issues, or button problems...! The battery cap seal must be addressed however......

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I slipped mine into a section of bike inner tube and folded and taped the edges up. Its ugly but is doing the trick

Tha Sneed

Oct 21, 2016
Red Deer, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an older thread - but I waterproofed one of my Garrett Pin Pointers with silicone. I had a half used tube of bathroom silicone and smeared some on the threads for the battery compartment, covered the button and the small holes for the speaker. Works awesome. Used it quite a few times like that - in fresh water and salt water. No problems. The only drawback is its hard to hear the "beep" now. But you can feel it vibrate so who cares. I take the battery out in the fall before winter hits and redo the silicone job in the spring.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never had any issues putting mine in 4 to 5 ft of water lucky I guess

Top Member Reactions