Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: I am going to buy my first pion pointer, need suggestions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2015
    Grand Haven, MI
    Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a pair of the Bullseye II pinpointers. I like fiddling with switches and knobs though, so manually setting the sensitivity is preferable to me. I think I bought them used in the big auction site for around forty dollars each. They aren't waterproof, but I don't mind that because I don't hunt underwater or in the rain.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

us
    Dave

Mar 2006
    Japan
    CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44 Fisher Impulse 8 and 10, GTA 750 CTX (new) ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
    493 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes, go with the Garrett,,,,Its most likely the best and has a nice de-tune to better pinpoint? Don't go for the Minelab propaganda....ha...ha
    Honest Samuel likes this.
    Okinawa Dave

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    246 times
    Metal Detecting
    I had Garret's since they first appeared on the scene. Loaned my last one to a partner when I couldn't make it out to hunt. Bought an X-Pointer while I was out to use as a backup. I now have no desire to get my Garret back. The X-Pointer is just far n away superior to my old one.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Aug 2015
    West Point, Mississippi
    XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
    168 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ive been using the xpointer for over a year and it works great. It's not water proof it likes 9volt batteries but it has a good cost point and is well built.

us
    Sep 2015
    Michigan
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mclldavidson View Post
    I am leaning towards the water proof Garrett Pro but I am open to other suggestions, I dont mind buying generic if they work good
    Hey mclldavidson - What did you end up getting?

Charter Member
    us
    Vern

Jan 2017
    Leesburg Ga
    Tesoro DeLeon; Red Racer Garrett carrot, Makro PP Lesche shovel and knife Killer B's head phones
    472 times
    Metal Detecting
    Makro PP. Only been metal detecting for a little over a month, and now own two. Liked the first one so much bought another one for my 6 year old grandson.
    He likes going under bleachers and finding coins near the surface.

I love the four sensitivity settings. I start out on the most sensitive level 4 when first PP it in the hole. As I get closer to the target I'll change it to level one and if it bings then I know I am on top of the coin or whatever.

It's also waterproof. I have never owned another PP, but sure impressed with the Makro. Some people have complained about the control buttons being on the rear of the Makro. I find it no problem at all. Very easy to press the buttons even with gloves on. Around $125.00.

Nov 2015
    Mass
    BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
    35 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have a Vulcan 360 Pinpointer. $119
    Pros- Seems durable
    Works well
    Been using the same battery since 12/2015
    have dropped it several times and works like the day i got it.

Cons- I dont like the little screw that holds the battery cover on,,,, I'm gonna loose it for sure,,they do give you an extra screw,
    - Sometimes when I push it into the holder it turns itself on

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    634 times
    I had problems with the original Garrett Pro Pointer falsing quite a bit, but that problems seems to be fixed now.

I currently use the Garrett Carrot and am quite happy with it.

Do not buy off of Ebay, unless the seller has a near perfect score (and more than 10 or 20) would be my opinion. There are loads of knockoffs being sold on Ebay that look just like the real thing.

Alibaba is apparently another risky spot to buy these from too.

If you insist on buying from there, then at the very least get the serial number first and check it with the manufacturer to see if it's legit.

I go into the water to hunt, so the waterproof feature of more than 1'-3' is key to me.

For those complaining about the battery not working and having to adjust terminals, try a new battery.

For an example the Duracell 9v is something like 1/8" shorter than the Home Depot brand of 9v batteries, and this could help solve some of your problems.

I would avoid the Bounty Hunter one if you could afford something better, as I don't like how cheap it feels or the fact that the power button sits at the front of the machine.

You can easily turn the sensitivity up or down and not know it. The power button gets jammed with dirt quite easily, and is also a great source for the ingress of water..........which you can't really get this one wet.

I know this is an old post, but since people brought it back up again I thought I would throw in my two crusty pennies worth.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    16 times
    Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange. $120 range, but shop around.
    Ray S ECenFL

Aug 2016
    4 times
    I just recently got the Makro pinpointer and really like it.

us
    Apr 2017
    Denver, CO
    Garrett AT Pro
    125 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray S ECenFL View Post
    Garrett 1140900 Pro-Pointer AT Waterproof Pinpointing Metal Detector, Orange. $120 range, but shop around.
    This thread is pretty old. I imagine the OP figured it out by now. But I second the AT pointer. Pretty amazing little tool. Without it I'd probably never find anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links