Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea where to turn, eh?
Get a good one, right off.
I suggest either the Nokta Pointer or,
the Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Then, you will have (I think) the best performance,
reliable machine that will help you recover targets faster!
Don't get the Harbor Freight one or Walmart special, use your money
wisely.
So, do more research, watch videos on their use, and see what everyone seems to like.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
M

mclldavidson

Aug 16, 2011
I spotted the orange garrett water pro pointer for 99 on ebay, that is the cheapest I have seen it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garret Pro-Pointer

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only used garret p.p.'s and never had any issues. As far as eBay, don't. Call one of the sponsors here on treasurenet.
You will be glad you did.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the trx, the minelab, and the Garrett at. I've had the minelab the longest and it's the only one still working like it did when new. For what it's worth.

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with dirtscratcher. The minelab profind 25 is far more sensitive and reliable than the garrett pinpointer. don't get caught up in the Garrett propaganda. It is really over rated.

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't tell you what to buy - I'll just briefly describe what I did. I recently purchased a Nokta pointer from KellyCo and am happy with it.
I read many forums and reviews about pinpointers and viewed several on line videos as well. I agree with a couple of things that has been said on here -
do your research. Also, don't be fooled by the Garrett "propaganda" as one respondent stated. During my research, I was overwhelmed by the number of
negative comments about the reliability of the Garrett pinpointers. This is a shame, because the Garrett Carrot seemed to be the perfect fit for me.
I also read that many people are happy with it as well, but it was the comparison videos I saw on YOU TUBE that cemented my decision to NOT go with the Garrett.
Again, do your research! There is plenty of information out there if you are willing to dig. That can't be emphasized enough. I found that there were many good pointers out there
but my investigation revealed that the TRX was probably the most sensitive/powerful one out there for the money -although it was still a little pricey. I chose the Nokta because it offered the most bang for the buck. It is a good performer at a relatively reasonable price. It also feels like quality when you handle it and use it. Also waterproof to 1 meter.
You should assess what you want to spend and exactly what your needs are. Do you need a water proof pointer? Are you on a budget?
After addressing these questions - then you can narrow down your choices. I also agree with the guy who says to steer clear of EBay for this kind of purchase. Electronics
can be tricky. Buy from someone who will support you if you get a faulty one or something. My personal opinion is that you should stay away from the Bounty Hunter/Fisher/Teknetics
pointers as my research indicates these to be a poor pointers. (They are all the same pointer). I found this to be strange as I feel the Teknetics Omega 8000 that I use, is a well made detector!
KellyCo gave me free shipping and a discount for being a 1st time buyer. And it was fast FedEx shipping! Not some kinda 6 week wait.
Just some thoughts for you to digest. I wish that I had had more guidance when I was shopping for a pointer, but all in all I'm glad I made the choice I did (so far).

One thing I discovered about the Nokta pointer as someone else on here did, is that my battery seemed to not be making good contact with the metal spring contacts
(after using it for awhile).
I carefully re-tightened the cap and it has been fine since. If this turns out to be problematic for me, I will comment on here about it.
Several people have mentioned this already and one person even bent his battery clips out a little which seemed to correct things.
Hope this info helps....

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents...

Look at the length of the warranty and where you would have to send it if there's a problem with the unit.

Look at the holster. Can you easily get the probe in and out of the holster?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a TRX user. Liked my first so much I got a second one. Left one in the ravine at a mining camp two weeks ago and drove 27 miles one way to find it just where I left it two days earlier.

It has telepathy powers and called me to it. :laughing9:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the bounty hunter I got is crap

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Been using a Carrot for a year now, and no problems, and I wouldn't say I'm gentle on it. When your doing your research, be sure to check when the reviews were done. Doesn't do you any good if your looking at a review done in 2014.

laradactyl

Jan 12, 2016
Kerrville, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Garrett carrot last January so it is approaching one year old. I am retired and new to detecting but it has seen frequent use. I make frequent short hunts of two or three hours at least two or three times a week since I started detecting last January. I also use it in my woodworking shop to check reclaimed lumber for nails and screws to avoid damaging expensive planer and saw blades so it sees even more use there. It makes finding targets as small as .177 cal BB's and pellets routine, and even smaller targets show up too.

I cannot compare it to anything else as I have never used another pinpointer but for my use it has been a first class tool.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Garretts pin pointers are the best to me .. I have used them since they first came out wow that has been a lot of years ago .. You get one off eBay beware if the price is low there is a lot of knock offs sold on ebay..and for the most they do not work as should..Like they said talk to a TreasureNet vendor....NOW Harbor Freight sells one around $17.00 and a lot use and like them . image_13164.jpg Harbor freight Cen Tech

Last edited:

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a pair of the Bullseye II pinpointers. I like fiddling with switches and knobs though, so manually setting the sensitivity is preferable to me. I think I bought them used in the big auction site for around forty dollars each. They aren't waterproof, but I don't mind that because I don't hunt underwater or in the rain.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, go with the Garrett,,,,Its most likely the best and has a nice de-tune to better pinpoint? Don't go for the Minelab propaganda....ha...ha

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Garret's since they first appeared on the scene. Loaned my last one to a partner when I couldn't make it out to hunt. Bought an X-Pointer while I was out to use as a backup. I now have no desire to get my Garret back. The X-Pointer is just far n away superior to my old one.

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been using the xpointer for over a year and it works great. It's not water proof it likes 9volt batteries but it has a good cost point and is well built.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions