Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: I am going to buy my first pion pointer, need suggestions

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    11 times

I am going to buy my first pro pointer, need suggestions

I am leaning towards the water proof Garrett Pro but I am open to other suggestions, I dont mind buying generic if they work good
    Loco-Digger and Honest Samuel like this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2025 times
    Metal Detecting
    No idea where to turn, eh?
    Get a good one, right off.
    I suggest either the Nokta Pointer or,
    the Garret Pro-Pointer AT
    Then, you will have (I think) the best performance,
    reliable machine that will help you recover targets faster!
    Don't get the Harbor Freight one or Walmart special, use your money
    wisely.
    So, do more research, watch videos on their use, and see what everyone seems to like.
    Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Aug 2011
    11 times
    I spotted the orange garrett water pro pointer for 99 on ebay, that is the cheapest I have seen it.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Tesoro Cult Member & Overlord - Mojave; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq; Tejon; Sand Shark - Minelab GPZ 7000
    13883 times
    Metal Detecting
    Garret Pro-Pointer

us
    Nov 2013
    Long Island
    CTX 3030, Xp Deus, That's it, I'm done.
    2243 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've only used garret p.p.'s and never had any issues. As far as eBay, don't. Call one of the sponsors here on treasurenet.
    You will be glad you did.

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    1352 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've had the trx, the minelab, and the Garrett at. I've had the minelab the longest and it's the only one still working like it did when new. For what it's worth.

us
    goldseeker4000

Mar 2011
    Kalispell, Montana
    Minelab GPX4000, Minelab X-terra 705
    10 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with dirtscratcher. The minelab profind 25 is far more sensitive and reliable than the garrett pinpointer. don't get caught up in the Garrett propaganda. It is really over rated.
    goldseeker4000

us
    Sep 2015
    Michigan
    6 times
    Metal Detecting
    I won't tell you what to buy - I'll just briefly describe what I did. I recently purchased a Nokta pointer from KellyCo and am happy with it.
    I read many forums and reviews about pinpointers and viewed several on line videos as well. I agree with a couple of things that has been said on here -
    do your research. Also, don't be fooled by the Garrett "propaganda" as one respondent stated. During my research, I was overwhelmed by the number of
    negative comments about the reliability of the Garrett pinpointers. This is a shame, because the Garrett Carrot seemed to be the perfect fit for me.
    I also read that many people are happy with it as well, but it was the comparison videos I saw on YOU TUBE that cemented my decision to NOT go with the Garrett.
    Again, do your research! There is plenty of information out there if you are willing to dig. That can't be emphasized enough. I found that there were many good pointers out there
    but my investigation revealed that the TRX was probably the most sensitive/powerful one out there for the money -although it was still a little pricey. I chose the Nokta because it offered the most bang for the buck. It is a good performer at a relatively reasonable price. It also feels like quality when you handle it and use it. Also waterproof to 1 meter.
    You should assess what you want to spend and exactly what your needs are. Do you need a water proof pointer? Are you on a budget?
    After addressing these questions - then you can narrow down your choices. I also agree with the guy who says to steer clear of EBay for this kind of purchase. Electronics
    can be tricky. Buy from someone who will support you if you get a faulty one or something. My personal opinion is that you should stay away from the Bounty Hunter/Fisher/Teknetics
    pointers as my research indicates these to be a poor pointers. (They are all the same pointer). I found this to be strange as I feel the Teknetics Omega 8000 that I use, is a well made detector!
    KellyCo gave me free shipping and a discount for being a 1st time buyer. And it was fast FedEx shipping! Not some kinda 6 week wait.
    Just some thoughts for you to digest. I wish that I had had more guidance when I was shopping for a pointer, but all in all I'm glad I made the choice I did (so far).

One thing I discovered about the Nokta pointer as someone else on here did, is that my battery seemed to not be making good contact with the metal spring contacts
    (after using it for awhile).
    I carefully re-tightened the cap and it has been fine since. If this turns out to be problematic for me, I will comment on here about it.
    Several people have mentioned this already and one person even bent his battery clips out a little which seemed to correct things.
    Hope this info helps....

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1850 times
    I also seeking to purchase a pin pointer.

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    1044 times
    My two cents...

Look at the length of the warranty and where you would have to send it if there's a problem with the unit.

Look at the holster. Can you easily get the probe in and out of the holster?
    3cylbill and Honest Samuel like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2331 times
    Gimme your jewels
    I'm a TRX user. Liked my first so much I got a second one. Left one in the ravine at a mining camp two weeks ago and drove 27 miles one way to find it just where I left it two days earlier.

It has telepathy powers and called me to it.

SITE BRAVO DETAINEE

Dec 2012
    7689 times
    Metal Detecting
    the bounty hunter I got is crap
    Honest Samuel and BigWaveDave like this.
    I took a boat to an island so remote, only johnny depp has ever been to it before

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730
    1722 times
    Been using a Carrot for a year now, and no problems, and I wouldn't say I'm gentle on it. When your doing your research, be sure to check when the reviews were done. Doesn't do you any good if your looking at a review done in 2014.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

us
    Jan 2016
    Kerrville, Texas
    33 times
    I bought my Garrett carrot last January so it is approaching one year old. I am retired and new to detecting but it has seen frequent use. I make frequent short hunts of two or three hours at least two or three times a week since I started detecting last January. I also use it in my woodworking shop to check reclaimed lumber for nails and screws to avoid damaging expensive planer and saw blades so it sees even more use there. It makes finding targets as small as .177 cal BB's and pellets routine, and even smaller targets show up too.

I cannot compare it to anything else as I have never used another pinpointer but for my use it has been a first class tool.
    Honest Samuel and Geochem like this.

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    2439 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    Garretts pin pointers are the best to me .. I have used them since they first came out wow that has been a lot of years ago .. You get one off eBay beware if the price is low there is a lot of knock offs sold on ebay..and for the most they do not work as should..Like they said talk to a TreasureNet vendor....NOW Harbor Freight sells one around $17.00 and a lot use and like them . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_13164.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1385564Harbor freight Cen Tech
    Last edited by Keppy; Nov 26, 2016 at 10:55 PM.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links