Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: logic behind using a pin pointer?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    captain

Dec 2016
    ohio
    bounty hunter time ranger
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

logic behind using a pin pointer?

I will leave myself open to getting razzed about this question but I don't really know the answer. What is the real reason for using a pin pointer. I have watched the testing videos and they say this one detects 2inches and this one 4inches and on and on. If you are metal detecting or gold for that matter what depth do you really need or is considered ideal for one? Please bear in mind I don't own one and don't know if it is really needed? Thanks for any input.

Charter Member
    us
    TOM

Dec 2012
    UPSTATE NEW YORK
    1970 COMPASS- WHITES SILVER EAGLE- FISHER F POINT- WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL- GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLOYER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
    2069 times
    What I like about a pin pointer is finding my target much faster, which means I will be digging my next find while my buddy without a pp is still looking ---saves a lot of time. And my back and legs are not what they use to be, so less time in the down position also. Finding more then 1 target in the same hole is much easier also-----there will be more added by other tnetters-----good luck and I like the garrett pp
    A BAD DAY OF DIGGING IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    10538 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    D440 is all over it. Speeds and eases recovery. Always a great help, especially in trashy areas with multiple targets.

You can check the surface for a very small target, prior to digging. You know how a small shallow target, sometimes sounds like a bigger deep target.

I wouldn't go hunting without it!

Charter Member
    us
    TOM

Dec 2012
    UPSTATE NEW YORK
    1970 COMPASS- WHITES SILVER EAGLE- FISHER F POINT- WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL- GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLOYER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
    2069 times
    P.S. I should say I detected for about 40 years without a pp ---but never again
    A BAD DAY OF DIGGING IS BETTER THEN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

us
    Kandi Klover

Jan 2017
    Kingman, AZ
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
    63 times
    Cache Hunting
    Definitely, in areas with lots of targets or small targets it makes a world of difference. I'll be getting a Garrett carrot soon as I have the money instead of putting it torward a new detector at the moment.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    13855 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I hunted my 1st 3 months without a pin pointer and dug about $200, I am cheap and decided to get a BH pinpointer. (huge mistake). it has the range of about 1/2 inch and makes a better paper weight. I then went back to hunting another 3 months without a pin pointer and dug about $200 more. When I finally took the plunge and got a good pin pointer (came with a used F75LTDSE, I was amazed at how quickly I could recover a target without having to grab clumps of dirt in my fist and wave it over the coil. I will not hunt without one now. I have 2 garretts just in case one breaks. I just wander how much more clad I could have dug my 1st season if I had a pin pointer for the 1st 6 months of the 8 month season. There are plenty of plugs that I dig where a pin pointer is not necessary since the coin is showing or the clad ball is visible, but it does allow you to hear if there are more targets in the hole.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    Feb 2010
    Formerly NH now East Tennessee
    Garrett GtaX1250
    3034 times
    Because poking around with a plastic pinpointer does way less damage than poking around with a shovel...
    Live Free or Die

us
    Jul 2012
    Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
    Minelab X-terra 705, Teknetics Omega 8000, Minelab Safari
    807 times
    All -- esp.Colonial
    Try a brief detecting session without a pinpointer after a week with one and the logic will be quickly apparent

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Tesoro Cult Member & Overlord - Mojave; Vaquero; Lobo Super Traq; Tejon; Sand Shark - Minelab GPZ 7000
    14198 times
    Metal Detecting
    It is a luxury, not something you MUST have. Honestly, I almost never use it because my Tesoro machines pinpoint really well and I've been doing this so long I can usually see the target as soon as I open the plug. Sometimes when I "miss" and the target is in the wall of the hole the pinpointer does come in very handy. It slows me down though because it is an Extra Step. Get the Garrett, they are the best and last the longest.

Nov 2012
    457 times
    There are some targets that are in the soil that take on the color of the soil. You can have a hand full of that soil with the item in it and still cannot determine where the target is without poking around with the pointer. I have had long buried 14 K items coated black and appeared to be just more clumps of soil until I rubbed the pointer over it. I will not be without mine.

us
    Feb 2014
    KY
    Whites 4000D Garrett ATPro
    500 times
    All you gotta do it try one and you will be hooked.
    Loco-Digger and Honest Samuel like this.

Jan 2017
    54 times
    You have convinced me I needed this and I was unaware... Garrett carrot it is! (I bought my first metal detector cheap....I learned my lesson. Fool me once..)
    Never buy a Chinese metal detector...

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Deus XP, AT Pro, Racer 2, Ace 400
    2204 times
    Metal Detecting
    * Can prevent damage to valuable targets, as such has the potential to pay for itself
    * Makes recovery easier ... Not necessarily only digging in holes, but causal detecting at tot lots/beach as well

2" range is a bit much for me for a coin, I'd prefer more like 1", reason being is that its purpose is to let you know you are getting very close to a small metal object, if it alerted at 5" it would be useless. You have already pinpointed its general location with the detector, now its time to find its exact location, and a pinpointer helps do that quickly and efficiently.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1980 times
    Sounds good to me. I will purchase one this year.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6276 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    They are definitely a luxury. Come in very useful when you're trying to find a 1/4" size Civil War cap in 10 pounds of dirt. If you have a lot of targets in a small area, it will find them quicker and give you more time to look for more stuff.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links