logic behind using a pin pointer?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will leave myself open to getting razzed about this question but I don't really know the answer. What is the real reason for using a pin pointer. I have watched the testing videos and they say this one detects 2inches and this one 4inches and on and on. If you are metal detecting or gold for that matter what depth do you really need or is considered ideal for one? Please bear in mind I don't own one and don't know if it is really needed? Thanks for any input.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I like about a pin pointer is finding my target much faster, which means I will be digging my next find while my buddy without a pp is still looking ---saves a lot of time. And my back and legs are not what they use to be, so less time in the down position also. Finding more then 1 target in the same hole is much easier also-----there will be more added by other tnetters-----good luck and I like the garrett pp :icon_thumleft:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
D440 is all over it. Speeds and eases recovery. Always a great help, especially in trashy areas with multiple targets.

You can check the surface for a very small target, prior to digging. You know how a small shallow target, sometimes sounds like a bigger deep target.

I wouldn't go hunting without it!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. I should say I detected for about 40 years without a pp ---but never again :icon_thumright:

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Definitely, in areas with lots of targets or small targets it makes a world of difference. I'll be getting a Garrett carrot soon as I have the money instead of putting it torward a new detector at the moment.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted my 1st 3 months without a pin pointer and dug about $200, I am cheap and decided to get a BH pinpointer. (huge mistake). it has the range of about 1/2 inch and makes a better paper weight. I then went back to hunting another 3 months without a pin pointer and dug about $200 more. When I finally took the plunge and got a good pin pointer (came with a used F75LTDSE, I was amazed at how quickly I could recover a target without having to grab clumps of dirt in my fist and wave it over the coil. I will not hunt without one now. I have 2 garretts just in case one breaks. I just wander how much more clad I could have dug my 1st season if I had a pin pointer for the 1st 6 months of the 8 month season. There are plenty of plugs that I dig where a pin pointer is not necessary since the coin is showing or the clad ball is visible, but it does allow you to hear if there are more targets in the hole.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a luxury, not something you MUST have. Honestly, I almost never use it because my Tesoro machines pinpoint really well and I've been doing this so long I can usually see the target as soon as I open the plug. Sometimes when I "miss" and the target is in the wall of the hole the pinpointer does come in very handy. It slows me down though because it is an Extra Step. Get the Garrett, they are the best and last the longest. :occasion14:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some targets that are in the soil that take on the color of the soil. You can have a hand full of that soil with the item in it and still cannot determine where the target is without poking around with the pointer. I have had long buried 14 K items coated black and appeared to be just more clumps of soil until I rubbed the pointer over it. I will not be without mine.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you gotta do it try one and you will be hooked.

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have convinced me I needed this and I was unaware... Garrett carrot it is! (I bought my first metal detector cheap....I learned my lesson. Fool me once..)

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
* Can prevent damage to valuable targets, as such has the potential to pay for itself
* Makes recovery easier ... Not necessarily only digging in holes, but causal detecting at tot lots/beach as well

2" range is a bit much for me for a coin, I'd prefer more like 1", reason being is that its purpose is to let you know you are getting very close to a small metal object, if it alerted at 5" it would be useless. You have already pinpointed its general location with the detector, now its time to find its exact location, and a pinpointer helps do that quickly and efficiently.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are definitely a luxury. Come in very useful when you're trying to find a 1/4" size Civil War cap in 10 pounds of dirt. If you have a lot of targets in a small area, it will find them quicker and give you more time to look for more stuff.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Pinpointer's make you cool.

You can find out which one of your friends have metal in their bodies. Either medical or left over bullets... If you're missing your keys, earrings, loose change, you can check the dog without scaring the bee-jesus out of him. You can check Fido's poop for any missing items, without touching it!

They are great for finding nails in walls, pipes under the floor, loose fillings... and you can prop up a window with one.

Grandma lose her ring? You can check an apple pie and eat the safe pieces. Let somebody else bust a tooth on that old heirloom.

Wife lost her ring again? You can search the pvc sink trap without taking the damn thing apart!

There are hundreds of everyday uses for a pinpointer. Never be caught without one.

(they are great for digging targets in the dirt too)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas GIB. I'll leave the dog doodie for you.

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointer's make you cool.

You can find out which one of your friends have metal in their bodies. Either medical or left over bullets... If you're missing your keys, earrings, loose change, you can check the dog without scaring the bee-jesus out of him. You can check Fido's poop for any missing items, without touching it!

They are great for finding nails in walls, pipes under the floor, loose fillings... and you can prop up a window with one.

Grandma lose her ring? You can check an apple pie and eat the safe pieces. Let somebody else bust a tooth on that old heirloom.

Wife lost her ring again? You can search the pvc sink trap without taking the damn thing apart!

There are hundreds of everyday uses for a pinpointer. Never be caught without one.

(they are great for digging targets in the dirt too)

I like funny m*#$@#ers!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread