The Presticle

Feb 1, 2017
Turlock, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I am very new to this hobby but have done quite a bit of research before evening buying my BH Traker 4. Went with the Tracker 4 because it seems to be the best bang for your buck detector for someone just exploring this hobby. Anyways, my question is what would be a "quality" pin pointer that is inexpensive? Is there even one that exists for under 50-60$ that works decent? I really don't want to spend more on a pp than I spent on my Tracker 4.

Thanks in advance,
-The Presticle

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean. My first MD was a Garrett Ace 200. $169.00. Purchased a Makro PP $125.00. I guess that seems a little absurd, but I am really pleased with the Makro. Now I have two Makro.
Another detectorist wrote that if I go cheap on a MD, then buy a quality pp.
Glad I did. If you are in a position to somehow stretch your budget, go with a Makro, Garrett, or White's.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, just wanted to give you some food for thought.
Good luck

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a bounty hunter I think for $40

junk, I don't use one and am used to it

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get a good ome...

Master Presticle, I recommend that you don't waste money on a cheapo pinpointer. Save for as long as it takes you to buy a good quality unit. I started without a pinpointer, then bought a harbor freight... I ended up giving it to my son and the switch went bad a short time after. No problems yet with the good pinpointers I bought, and they've been used more than 10 times as much as the cheap harbor freight pointer.

Save up and buy quality. :occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a cheap harbor freight one, just switch it out before the warranty runs out and keep doing that, I did that for awhile I think I had to get a new one six times the switches are trash.Finally got tired of their crud and bought a Garrett.Going to send it in for a tune-up, but love it.Had for two years now.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deteknix Xpointer is about as cheap as you can go ($90) a get a PP that has all the major features one would want. You pay a little extra for the Garrett and Whites name but they are worth it. I have a Whites TRX and a Deteknix Xpointer. I use them both.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely spend the money on a decent PP. My stepson got a Garrett PP and gave me his old BH one since I never used one back in the day. I hated having to tune the threshold, etc. It worked but it was annoying. So, come tax time, I sprung for a PP and have not regretted it. I make sure I clean the dirt out of the speaker holes and put black electrical or duct tape on the tip to protect it from wear. If it goes up (had it for two years so far) I might think about upgrading to a TRX or the Garrett Carrot, we'll see. But, yeah, you get what you pay for and which should you pay for junk on the sport you love?

Darhan

Mar 27, 2015
Almaty
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell me please. What price Pinpointers Garrett in the USA?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately, inexpensive and good usually ends up being an oxymoron with just the occasional exception. You're most likely only going to need one so bite the bullet and buy one of the pricey ones and use the devil out of it. If later on you decide to upgrade your detector, you'll already have a good pinpointer. My two bits.
luvsdux

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The regular black PPs are around $100 online. The orange ones are somewhere between $125 and $150, I think. Amazon or Kellyco googling will probably give you an idea. I got mine on Amazon while I was buying a router and wifi card. I put duct tape over my tip and don't try to waterproof it and it's held up almost three years now. When my gloves get dirty, the speaker holes get clogged so I use the pick on my pocket multi-tool to keep the sound from being muffled. I'd like to have a Carrot, but my next upgrade will be the Z-Lynk wireless headphone system. The basic Garrett PP isn't bad. I got a .22 bullet and a .22 casing and it found them pretty well. It also helped me locate a seated dime under a root yesterday. I used a stick to dig out the dime instead of taking a chance on scratching it with my digger. Get what you can afford, but don't cheap out. I got out my old BH one for my grandson and it was just annoying, not helpful.

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap, Harbor freight has one for around 18 dollars.

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned above, you can go cheap and buy a Harbor Freight one for around 20 bucks. I saved up and got a Garrett Pro (Garrett Carrot as some call it) and I don't regret spending the extra cash for a second. Check Amazon, you can occasionally get them around $100. It's super accurate, durable and saves me a ton of time trying to retrieve targets.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Skippy SH13,

I use your product, works as advertised!

Regards,

Doc

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the harbor freight one it works and has served me well jsut buy two when ya go and take a coupon for some other junk for free makes it worth it..there are a few videos on youtube of how to mod them to make it work a little better and take the screws out of the back and tape it up with something you can remove for instant access to the guts i modified the switch and been going somewhat strong for 2 years..

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a harbor freight Cen-Tech a few months ago for $17.00. I love it and it works very well. I replaced the momentary switch with a rocker on/off switch from a pc power supply and then I wired a high quality momentary switch in series with it. This way, I don't have to worry about the button being pushed when in the case, as long as the main switch is off...it is off. I also lowered the volume on the pizo buzzer as it was waaay too loud and, I added a cell phone vibrator motor in line with the buzzer. I also jacked up the sensitivity multi turn trim pot and I now have an effective range of 2.5"-3" (depending on what the target is) which is plenty. Oh, and I also replaced the sensitivity knob with a large one so it can be turned and tuned easily with one finger. I also waterproofed the antenna tip. So, for about $20 total and 30 minutes of labor I have a nice pin pointer that works as well as any of the expensive ones my buddies use.

Bill

vesa

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Nokta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I received the Thracian Pinpointer (from Thrace Metal Detectors), it seems simple and pretty good though there isn't any documentation about the waterproofing but I see a sealing ring on the battery cap and it seems nice when doing air tests. Unfortunately I can't compare it to any existing pinpointers since I don't have any of those. For the 38,5€ + shipping I paid it seems pretty good so far.
18558886_10155028520624550_8020980478141571789_o.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread