Pinpointed ... Pondering Possibilities

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard about them but never used one. Not sure how they work except notify you that you are within X inches. I could see the value especially hunting relics you don't want to damage.

Any issues with buying them used from someone you trust?

I see there a couple you can get for around $60 - Fishers and Minelab I believe. Are these palatable?

What are the bells & whistles for the more expensive models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta pointer is around $125, which is priced right near the Garrett AT pointer,
however, Nokta is waterproof, tough, very sensitive with 10 settings. Three modes.
I swear by them, as I've had three other pinpointers before.
Watch some videos of their use, and read reviews here and there, but mark my words,
its a good one!

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nokta was what I was going to get, but got the TRX because my local retailer had them in stock and on sale. Love my TRX, but wouldn't mind the Nokta.

Kansas_Jayhawk; using a PP will speed up your recovery time, and makes the whole experience more enjoyable IMO.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly all the good ones are over a hundred bucks new. The Minelab is 160 new. They simply speed up recovery and as you say occasionally help prevent damage to coins, etc. I hunted for 20 years or more before they were invented so they are not a real necessity, but I now have a couple and always use one. The Garrett AT is also waterproof but not for diving, and is one of the most popular ones out there. I would have no problem buying a used one from someone I trusted.

Riches in Michigan

Sep 10, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Nokta recently and am very happy with it. It is the only one I have owned so far, and probably will be the only one.
I also suggest taking a look at this one.
Speeds up recovery considerably.

jgdeavers

Greenie
Jan 3, 2017
Gloucester VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMAx
Tesoro Outlaw (3 coil pack)
MarsMD Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are using two of the Mars MD pinpointers. One arrived a dud, vendor sent replacement out same day.

Both working fine since Jan, not exactly long term, however are using daily.

Simple controls ( one button ) tone and vibrate, one setting, no light...I would buy again.

...soil here in coastal Virginia ( Sandy, clay-ish), this will hit on coins around 3", hit on "a" link from small chain over 2". Will "retune" by turning off, then on again near target. I'm learning as I go, don't know if all do this. Nothing in instructions about this function/feature, but it works.

Jamie

Via LG-V10

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread