Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually pretty good for the price. I keep mine in my truck as a backup.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's performance for the $$$ kept me from buying a more expensive punpointer. I honestly don't like that some pinpointers can get 6 inches of penetration. I want to know if I'm within 3 inches or less. I will however upgrade to a more expensive waterproof one if I can't find a way to waterproof the one I just ordered.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got two off eBay at $28 each. Nice, cheap backup for my X-Pointer...which I love. I gave the other one to my Daughter...along with a brand spanky-New AT Pro. 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just used it for the first time on a planned hunt in Big Bear, CA. I asked a local park ranger if I would allowed to metal detect the Doble mine and he said it's no problem as long as I pick up all of the trash I find. And believe me, there was more trash than anything else...

The gp pointer saved me so much time. Its perfect for my purposes.

tstocka

May 24, 2017
Sagamore Hills, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
White's Treasure Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful around water with the GP Pointer. It is not as water resistant as they claim. I got one a few weeks ago, Used it for a couple of weeks before I decided to clean it.
I lightly rinsed it with water and wiped it down with a wet rag. From that point onward, it would randomly turn itself and could not be shutoff without taking out the battery.
Upon closer inspection I found that the switch was not functioning properly and there was moisture inside the unit.
I just got an AT Pointer (Garrett Carrot) and will keep the GP pointer as a backup. I'm going to rig it up with a mercury switch so it automatically comes on when it's pointed down since I could not get the factory switch working again.

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up one of the orange GP pointers as a back up to my AT pro pointer. I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with it for the money. It's just a tick less sensitive than the AT pro pointer and functions exactly like the original pro pointer. The build quality is up to snuff with the real deal surprisingly. I would have to assume that its an exact copy of the original. Very happy for the price.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QC seems very inconsistent on these GP pinpointers. I just ordered my 3rd GP pointer from ebay! the first one was defective, maybe 1/2" air testing quarter, dime even worse. Bought 2nd one from same seller, about 1" max. Neither of them had the super fast beeping sound when touching the coin like the many videos I watched before purchasing. I got refunded for them both and now I bought a third one from a different ebay seller this time. I will report back when I receive it. I am hoping the third time is a charm, lol!

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i orderd one to and it just came in today. Out of the box im rather impressed! seems pretty rugged, Dropped a battery in it an it worked! Air test it picks a penny up at about 2 inches. My first pointer, always did it the old fashion way, scoop and scan. so this should help out alot. if it pans out then someday ill upgrade. focus for now is getting out.

Falstaff

Feb 17, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a youtube video by Aguachigger on how he made his 1st gen Carrot waterproof using a kind of plumbers putty and silicon sealant, the clear kind that come in a tube. Might be worth doing.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could anybody test one of these with a very small gold picker. It would be nice to check my plus 1/8 inch material during clean-ups. Deep penetration is not needed, just want to use it to hover over a gold pan. I don't probably take enough time searching thru the larger gravels and sometimes ponder about missing those black covered nugs/pickers that don't glow. Also seems to be O.K. to get the first couple of inches wet, just not the area of the switch..is that correct? And about the battery...any comments?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful around water with the GP Pointer. It is not as water resistant as they claim. I got one a few weeks ago, Used it for a couple of weeks before I decided to clean it.
I lightly rinsed it with water and wiped it down with a wet rag. From that point onward, it would randomly turn itself and could not be shutoff without taking out the battery.
Upon closer inspection I found that the switch was not functioning properly and there was moisture inside the unit.
I just got an AT Pointer (Garrett Carrot) and will keep the GP pointer as a backup. I'm going to rig it up with a mercury switch so it automatically comes on when it's pointed down since I could not get the factory switch working again.
McGeyver award goes to......

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could anybody test one of these with a very small gold picker. It would be nice to check my plus 1/8 inch material during clean-ups. Deep penetration is not needed, just want to use it to hover over a gold pan. I don't probably take enough time searching thru the larger gravels and sometimes ponder about missing those black covered nugs/pickers that don't glow. Also seems to be O.K. to get the first couple of inches wet, just not the area of the switch..is that correct? And about the battery...any comments?

BUMP

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang Nab It......e-bay from China is only $30.00 but really don't want to have another piece of crap stored in the shop....HA!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Now it can't be to tough to sneak a little gold stud earring outta the sweeties jewellery box and check it out on a paper plate. I'm just looking for anything larger than 1/8th inch in my tailings and don't expect a unit to detect anything a couple of inches down or a big flake. First one to respond with a solid answer/with pictures get's a small bag of gold bearing black sand mailed to you for free!!!!!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a gold pinpointer you can get one of those Falcon MD. I haven't compared pinpointers for small gold, but i was able to get a response from one inch on a 2.8 grain with the Tek-Point. That's smaller than the end of a pencil eraser. Never tried anything smaller but think they said 2 grain, so anything smaller is going to need to be close.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda strange I watched a video on the Falcon MD and it did not detect a vial of gold pieces as far as the Tek-Point can. I guess The FMD is for fine gold where it shines being 300kHz.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang Nab It......e-bay from China is only $30.00 but really don't want to have another piece of crap stored in the shop....HA!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Now it can't be to tough to sneak a little gold stud earring outta the sweeties jewellery box and check it out on a paper plate. I'm just looking for anything larger than 1/8th inch in my tailings and don't expect a unit to detect anything a couple of inches down or a big flake. First one to respond with a solid answer/with pictures get's a small bag of gold bearing black sand mailed to you for free!!!!!

What...no takers yet? That bag of gold/black sand is just waiting for a postage address. HA!

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So...I had the chance to check out a Garret pinpointer today...ummm...not impressed. It did kick off about an inch away from a 2.2 pennyweight nugget but unless it was actually submearsed in a pile of small gold flakes (3/4 oz.) it seemed lost. I spread those flakes out in a small circle and the only area that pinpointer zeroed in on was the thicker of the pile and ....welll anyhow not impressed.
I'll leave my offer up (free gold in a bag...) for a couple more days but I'm surprised all you pinpointer guys didn't jump on the offer. I'll continue to do the old "eyeball' every pebble and skip the pinpointer thing..

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just send the gold, it's less postage. LOL

Sorry, not good at videos. You don't want to take my word for it, that's your loss. 2.8 grains @ 1 inch is not the extreme, just what I tried. Didn't need to prove anything more with the Tek-Point. One pennyweight equals 24 grains.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
signal line, Don't take me wrong...but I was asking about the cheap pinpointer from the original poster, not a tec-point or any other $100.00 plus unit. I'm sure you get what you pay for and that's what I was hoping to hear, from someone that actually has one to do a test with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions