Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one as a back up. It works when i have one foot off the ground and one hand in the air while standing on my head.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tried to get one but they didn't have any in stock. They make a fair backup or when you are on a tight budget.

RngrRachel

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2017
Fruitland Park, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight.jpg Harbor freight.jpg I just bought one the other day. I'm new at this and didn't want to drop a ton of coin to try one out since I'd never used a pinpointer before. It took a while to fiddle with the settings to get the thing to where it didn't beep within 1 foot of anything metal but once I adjusted it it worked fine. I set the dial to 6 O'Clock as you're looking at the front of the unit and that was the sweet spot for me. Unfortunately you basically have to do this every time you use it because it gets jostled around in your pocket.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, they work when they're new. The main problem with them is that they don't last. The switches break, they're not ergonomic, and you constantly have to fiddle with the control. Once you get a GOOD pin pointer, you won't settle for anything else.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be marginally better than nothing if you are tight on the $$, would advise to pony up some $$ for a real PP for serious hunting.

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first pointer... Replaced the switch, increased the sensitivity on the circuit board... All of the mods. Once I got a real pointer I never looked back. I keep it for when I take a newbie out hunting. Even modded out, they are TERRIBLE when compared to a good pointer. With a good pointer it will detect inches away, The HF, you have to be almost touching a coin sized object. Truly, there is no comparison.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine lasted 30 minutes. Then it quit. Got a whites, switch died. Fixed it with new switch. Now use a Garrett Pro II. Couldn't be happier with it, from ebay for $71 NEW.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My HF pinpointer does everything I need it to do, and I've been hauling it in the field for 3 months now without any issues with it. I've been detecting for 53 years and this is the first such device I've ever used. I modded it for more depth and it is getting 2 inches now. I am amazed at how many detectorists feel pinpointers are a necessary piece of equipment. I only use mine when I have a target that has eluded my detectors pinpoint, which isn't often, and on those occasions it does speed up recovery, but to use it on every target is a drag on recovery time, at least for me. I see people digging with them and it's no small wonder they don't last long, maybe the manufacturers can incorporate a retractable digger on the end of these gadgets, but that might save wear and tear and they wouldn't be able to sell you a new one when yours goes tango uniform. To each his own!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure don't use mine for every target, like any tool I use it when I need it.

Glad it works for you but you cannot expect many to endorse something like this.
Easy to see how fragile it is just by looking at the pic, and harbor freight is not exactly known for quality equipment.
With some exceptions, most of it is cheap made in china junk with little to no quality control sold as almost disposable tooling.

3 months is no time at all, I expect years out of my pinpointers and have not been disappointed.

searching 4

Dec 6, 2017
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
garret ace 200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after reading about all I could find on the cen tech pin pointer, I think it's a 50/50 proposition, sure they aren't they best thing out there but at around 16 bucks, why not try it , so I bought one .with a coupon it cost me 13 bucks .so far so good, detects about anything to around 1.5 inches... I really don't think it will last for years but until I get the cash for a good one this thing is working ok for me

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The switch is junk, but it works in pinch, good for coin shooters in tot lots with wood chips.If you have your receipt harbor freights return policy I think is 90 days just exchange it for a new one and keep doing that every 80 days or so.

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a ā€œGointā€ pointer for 37.00. Itā€™s my first one and the best thing I bought. I donā€™t know how well the expensive ones work but this one works great! I havenā€™t had any issues with it and it sure saves a lot of time. I also bought a ā€œDirt Dobberā€ shovel and it sure makes the digging easy. Itā€™s like cutting through butter with a hot knife!

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a budget the HF pinpointer works just fine. The button can be quirky if you're not easy with it, but it's certainly better than nothing. I still have one sitting around that works just fine for an extra/backup. I got about an inch before modding it and over 1.5 after mod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions