High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert, but it is news to me that my carrot has a ground balance feature. If you clean dirt from around it, it could have been reacting to something as small as a paper staple that you didn't see. Things like that drive me nuts sometimes till I see them. Try experimenting with the pointer to see how it reacts to different things..

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use it on its most sensitive setting. I use level one or two. The third seems to make it go whacky

OP
OP
lucky92

lucky92

Nov 30, 2017
Jefferson City missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites classic sl, Garrett 350, mx sport, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I dig my plug I rest my pointer against the plug when I turn it on in stead of turning it on in the air and it helps to neutralize the ground, to my knowledge

wallrat_1975

Jul 19, 2018
Collinsville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 1000 (800 + Steve's Carbon Goodies!),
Teknetics T2 SE LTD,
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Garret Carrot,
Tek-Point, 2 x Teknetics TLD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had this same exact issue in the goat pasture I was detecting. Apparently, just like cow-patties, goat crap can give a false signal also. I dug three holes and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally, in one instance, I pulled out from the loose dirt a small round object. It was a goat turd and the pinpointer went crazy when I touched it, but once it was crumbled up amid the dirt, nothing. Not sure this is the issue, just found it necessary to add.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this same exact issue in the goat pasture I was detecting. Apparently, just like cow-patties, goat crap can give a false signal also. I dug three holes and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally, in one instance, I pulled out from the loose dirt a small round object. It was a goat turd and the pinpointer went crazy when I touched it, but once it was crumbled up amid the dirt, nothing. Not sure this is the issue, just just found it necessary to add.
Goats will eat tin cans and pop tops. Only adds to the frustration. I got a nice visual of you crumbling a goat turd :)

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
maybe it was hitting on all the tin that goat had ingested. :dontknow:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Ground balance" by turning the pointer on while resting it inside the edge of the hole but not where you think the target is. This " ground balances" it. For salty sand stick the probe into the wet sand and turn it on or in the water with the tip in the sand then turn it on. Also if its on and you hold the button for one second it'll " ground balance". If you hold it for 3 seconds you can switch the mode. But you know this lol.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I don't think No gold in NY does. It will never drive you nuts again if you know how to use this feature since de-tuning when close to your target will allow you to easily pinpoint.
The whole idea behind pinpointing is to not waste any time looking for a small piece of metal that you can't visually see.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
It is just easier to make it a practice to turn it on with the tip on the ground, as it is to use air, then detune with a tap on the PWR button as a secondary action.

I run every pinpointer I own at it's full sensitivity. I may not need it but it's easy to detune my primary pointers.

Bengsxr

Jul 14, 2018
Pearland, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about goats but I know cows will accidently eat all types of metal. It could be a piece of bailing wire or who know what else that is in the hay but the common term is just hardware. Cows normally ok with this issue but if it happens to a horse it cause several more issues. The best thing I found was a PVC pipe and a water hose to try and clear it from the throat. My dog will also eat metal from time to time. So anytime there may be fecal matter it might have metal in it. Also I never read the instructions on the carrot so I didn't know you could ground balance them.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Just be aware that if you turn it on touching the ground and that particular spot of ground includes metal, like a nail, your de-tuning to that object and this may greatly lower the range for the target you're after.
I say turn it on in the air away from all metal and lower it to your target area. If it goes off, hit the button de-tuning and allowing you to get closer to the target before it goes off. Repeat, if necessary, until you have located the item.
knowing this feature is a must.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Amazing how many people don't know how to use this tool. How on earth is it helping to pinpoint if the target could be within 3 or 4 inches of any part of the tool? Ground balancing, or de-tuning will allow you to actually pinpoint.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same issues and I pushed the button on a Whites TRX and have not looked back:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread