Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m thinking of ordering a White’s TRX instead of the garret carrot. I’ve had one in the past, worked great, but I didn’t like the whole shaft as the PP. I found my target everytime but i felt like I was digging bigger plugs (this also could be due to lack of experience with my old AT Pro). However the fact the TRX is only tip sensing, makes me lean that way.
I heard the early TRXs were initially not waterproof but later were advertised as waterproof to keep up with Garret. I don’t know how much truth there is to that, but they have a warranty so I’m not terribly worried about it.

Any thoughts?
Any other PP that are only tip sensing?

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched from a garrett to a trx. After I got it customized the way I wanted it and got used to tip sensing only, I wouldn't give it up. I tried setting the sensitivity to level 4 and didn't like it. Too much falsing. I changed back to 3 and it's a keeper. It's all I carry now. GOOD LUCK

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRX is my choice and I have tried them all, with the exception of the new first texas pointers. Sensing up the shaft is not to my liking. I like tip only sensing so that small dirt colored finds are under the tip and not somewhere up the shaft which cause a degree of additional searching to locate.

Last edited:

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the TRX for a few years and I absolutely love it, it has great depth and I love the tip only sensitivity . Well it is not exactly tip only at least mine isnt, it actually does sense targets for about an inch average depending on target size around the sides up by the on off button qand I think has been the cause of what I thought was falsing but was really picking up another object on the side , I really dont know why or if all of them do this. The other strange thing that has been happening more frequently is that is just all of a sudden will turn off and sometimes it will turn back on when I press the button and sometimes it doesnt, the one thing is though if I lightly tap or knock the pinpointer on the base then try to turn it on it always works. It is strange but it kind of seems like a loose wire or something. The real disappointing part is that I called whites and they sent me to a techs voice mail , I left a message and they never called back , pretty bad customer service. I was almost going to buy another one but the bad customer service pushed me to buy the new F- pulse by fisher . I have only used the F-pulse on one hunt and I have to admit so far I dont like it as much as the TRX , maybe because I am just not used to it but I wish it was a tip only like the TRX as so far it takes me longer to tune into where the target is , I also dont like how it maxes out the tone before it gets right next to the target , where the TRX only maxes out the tone when right up against the target. The feel and durability of the F-pulse is really nice though so I am really wanting to like it. I know this is more than you asked for but I hope it helps.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the TRX for a few years and I absolutely love it, it has great depth and I love the tip only sensitivity . Well it is not exactly tip only at least mine isnt, it actually does sense targets for about an inch average depending on target size around the sides up by the on off button qand I think has been the cause of what I thought was falsing but was really picking up another object on the side , I really dont know why or if all of them do this. The other strange thing that has been happening more frequently is that is just all of a sudden will turn off and sometimes it will turn back on when I press the button and sometimes it doesnt, the one thing is though if I lightly tap or knock the pinpointer on the base then try to turn it on it always works. It is strange but it kind of seems like a loose wire or something. The real disappointing part is that I called whites and they sent me to a techs voice mail , I left a message and they never called back , pretty bad customer service. I was almost going to buy another one but the bad customer service pushed me to buy the new F- pulse by fisher . I have only used the F-pulse on one hunt and I have to admit so far I dont like it as much as the TRX , maybe because I am just not used to it but I wish it was a tip only like the TRX as so far it takes me longer to tune into where the target is , I also dont like how it maxes out the tone before it gets right next to the target , where the TRX only maxes out the tone when right up against the target. The feel and durability of the F-pulse is really nice though so I am really wanting to like it. I know this is more than you asked for but I hope it helps.

Thanks for the heads up. I think i will just go with the TRX &. Buy new for the 2 year warranty.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Nokta pinpointer and i works very well. Their are a few things i don't like about it though. First, it takes a little time for the pointer to turn on and off and second, the speaker is located in a small hole at the top of the pointer and frequently gets filled with dirt making the sound null out. My two children have the TRX and i have used the TRX several times. If and or win my Nokta dies a horrible bloody death, my next pointer will be the TRX. Its fast to turn on and off and loud.

What i don't like about the TRX is the field it generates around the pointer. If you dig a hole and don't check the top rim of the hole with the tip first, you risk the chance of the pointer sounding off on a coin at the top of the hole where you think the coin is at the bottom. Kinda hard to explain. Lets put it this way, the pointer sounds off at two places on the shaft.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cent's: Why would anyone go out and buy a pinpointer without looking at the new ones first? I realize many people are brand loyal. That's a bad reason. LOL

I haven't got much time on the Tek-Point but it sure does fill my needs. My feelings, nothing worse than a weak pinpointer. If you want to save time, that is not the way to do it. Get something powerful or go without. Like I said, if you want a weak signal, you can always turn down the power level. I have not needed to so far.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Knowing the Garrett well and hitting the button when it sounds off, de-tuning it, will allow you to use the tip to find the item.
If you don't know this, the shaft detection will impair your ability to find the item quickly.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess a good way to settle it would be a shoot-out. Draw!!! LOL

I didn't have any problems with side detection. Not an issue.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Knowing the Garrett well and hitting the button when it sounds off, de-tuning it, will allow you to use the tip to find the item.
If you don't know this, the shaft detection will impair your ability to find the item quickly.

Yep, easy-peasy. Some folk just don't seem to put in the effort IMO. Fast detune is a great feature for enhanced and decreased detection range. Side detection is not so unfriendly, and for me, side speeds up total retrieval time a lot.

I am I the "F-Pulse camp" now, and totally love it. Looks like the Tek-Point is an exact copy of the F-Pulse. Once these two pointers get more time into the hands of users, the more impact sales of the Carrots will wane. I own them all, including the TRX, and to me...pulse indiction and side detection is the best for my needs.

I believe that a pinpointer shootout for speed-of-retrieval would quickly prove the pointers with side side detection are winners. Now, having said that,,,if no effort is made by users to LEARN how to use side detection and detune features, then no, it won't.

Learn sumpthin about side, be open minded.

Last edited:

One_more_hole

Jul 17, 2017
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Equinox 800; Explorer II; Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRX is my choice and I have tried them all, with the exception of the new first texas pointers. Sensing up the shaft is not to my liking. I like tip only sensing so that small dirt colored finds are under the tip and not somewhere up the shaft which cause a degree of additional searching to locate.

Agree. I like the tip only sensing. Quality is excellent and I also like the sheath. Mine does go crazy often but I run it hot on max sensitivity in order to get the most possible depth.

The new Minelab Pro find 35 looks to be my next unit. I am excited about the ferrous ID feature. Separating iron from conductive will greatly speed recovery.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry to say the trx is the worst i've used ,it is 1yr old and stopped detecting it constantly beeps while held in the air and the switch stopped working right as well May try the new minelab next

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not understand why those who prefer the wide up the barrel sensing and not tip only sensing. The TRX with its tip only puts you directly on the target and not 3 to 4 inches away. I love my TRX. A quick spin around the hole with the TRX will put you where you want to be.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Trx, Carrot and soon an F pulse.

So far the carrot wins. You can tell right away when you pick up the TRX how much cheaper made it is. Mine is falsing like crazy now too. I might just send it in to have Whites go over it then sell it off.

JHK

Greenie
Sep 27, 2018
Wichita Kansas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030. E-Trac. F75+. T2+. Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The First Texas PI units are the best for sensitivity and build. Have owned all of the high end units and found the Tek-Point or F-Pulse to be superior. Also like that they run on AA batteries. So far so good!

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the TRX and a Garrett, the TRX is the first go to, Garrett is my backup.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TRX... beats the orange carrot any day

themacgyver

Dec 28, 2015
El Dorado Hills, CA
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax/CleanSweep coil, Lobo ST, SandShark, Silver Sabre uMax, Silver uMax, & Sidewinder. Fisher F19. Metal Vision Surface Detector. DRS Ground Exper.
ProPointer, Whites TRX, VibraProbe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Vibra-Probe and fiberglass hand probe in one hand and tether my TRX on a retractable T-Reign key keeper on my belt. When I hit a target, I check it first with the Vibra-Probe which signals at tip within 1/2"-3/4" of target. If I get signal, I place the hand probe directly on the target, slide to side, and pop it out. If V-P doesn't hit, I reach for TRX which will usually reach 1.5"-3" depth. A quick scan with TRX usually reveals wider signal at tip. Quick pop on switch ratchets down the signal one pop at a time until tip indicates coin size area, hit it with the hand probe, and pop it out. If I have to widen the bottom of the hole with my hand probe, I insert the V-P to find the target and pop it out with the hand probe. I usually average 15-20 good targets per hour with this recovery technique in parks and sport fields without ever digging holes or tearing up grass. I've owned other name brand pinpointers with side detection, but they slowed me down.

goldiger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what I dislike is having to keep sending mine in I have sent mine 3 times in less than a year. It there now. Not much faith in there repair center they only give you 90 days warranty after repair if you are out off regular mfg warranty I have bought tek point and so far u like it .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread