Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just received a Fisher F-Pulse in the mail today. Got it from a vendor on this forum. Besides the Fisher box being crushed (it had been placed in a vinyl mailing envelope with no protection), the end cap looks like this.

Has anyone else received one with an end cap that looks similar? Mine looks like the cap has been put on & taken off many, many times with a screwdriver, or something much smaller than a quarter, that has really buggered up the slot. Inside the box, the probe was sitting in a clear plastic bag that was open, and not sealed or taped in any way. Basically, there was nothing keeping the probe in the bag, except for the box. There is also a black stain on the side of the probe. Otherwise, it does not look like it's been used in the dirt.

20180512_191532.jpg 20180512_191539.jpg

I'm just trying to determine if this thing was played with a few times, or returned or something else before I received it (or possibly a refurb).

The images should be clickable to enlarge them.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy, you have a valid concern. Doesn't matter what the product is. If you believed, or were told you were buying a new factory product, what you received is not that. Get on the phone to this vendor, and demand a new, unopened, still in the box unit.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me suspicious also, however, I've seen some manufacturers "dumb down" their products with cheap parts. I'd call the dealer.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what frequency does the F-Pulse operate at?

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what frequency does the F-Pulse operate at?

I don't know the specific frequencies offhand, but you have a choice of multiple frequencies. If it interferes with your metal detector, you can select a different frequency on the pinpointer, to find one that does not interfere.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just opened a brand new Tek-pulse and it is in a clear plastic bag. The bag is slid into the “holster” along with instructions. The end is folded over but not taped or closed.

As far as the end cap, it is installed as part of the assembly process and a slip by the assembler could cause the marks you have pictured. The F-point I have used for some weeks has similar but less evident marks to yours, but I have had the cap off and on a few times.

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy, the battery cap is made of hard stainless steel and the machining process to cut the slot can cause this. I'd have to look at more caps to be sure, but that's what I recall.

Rawhide, the default pulse period is 400us so 2.5kHz. Each offset click adds 1 us, so 2.41kHz is the min.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Carl. That looks like a poorly machined cap. Have them send out a new one.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Carl. That looks like a poorly machined cap. Have them send out a new one.

I suspect they are all similar. Again, I need to check. The cap was originally aluminum but proved not to be durable enough so we switched to stainless. The price went up considerably because both the blanks and the machining cost more. In the end, we're not getting nor are we paying for Swiss watch precision machining. I will however push a bit to get a better looking finish.

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this quality control imperfection is ok by Fisher.. I can't help but wonder what other imperfections are lurking on the inside ...

OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP here. Decided to bring the PP to the monthly meeting of the local MD club I'm a member of. Wanted to do a bit of "show and tell" with my new PP and Equinox 800 MD, as I'm the only one there with these two devices.

After last night's exhibition, I don't think many members are going to be switching to the F-Pulse. Mine has to go back, unless there is a user fix for the issue I'm now seeing...

When the PP is on, many times it can not be turned off. It just seems to freeze with the LED on, but it stops detecting anything...it just goes silent, and locks up. So basically, If I'm in the hole using the PP, I'd have no idea it's stopped working, until I take it out of the hole and touch it to something metal like my MD sitting nearby, and realize it's not working. The multifunction button becomes totally unresponsive.

The only way I've figured out how to remedy the lock-up is to loosen the cap until it breaks contact with the batteries. Screwing it back on makes the probe work again, until it decides to lock up once more. I'm starting to wonder if all the marks on the cap are from a previous owner having to remove and retighten the cap multiple, multiple times before I received it. It also appears from doing some more forum surfing that this locking-up issue is not only happening on my PP.

I asked the vendor I purchased it from for an exchange, but he seems to have decided this is not something he wants to handle, directing me to contact Fisher. Fisher says they will help me, but they need to "get to the bottom of this", and to "be patient". I'll give it a few days and then contact my credit card company, as I don't want to get stuck with defective, and possibly returned/refurbished merchandise. Obviously, as you can see I'm not a happy consumer! :(

Last edited:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dealt with Fisher's customer service in the past. They were excellent, and resolved my issue to my complete satisfaction. They did insist that I send them my detector to properly diagnose the situation. They replaced mine with a brand new one. Best of luck. That's a bummer.

GulfcoastCletus

Greenie
Mar 8, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should state which dealer it was who has opted to leave you in the lurch like this so others can opt to not get stuck like this as well.

New or not, your not happy and it's their responsibility to make you so.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
OP here. Decided to bring the PP to the monthly meeting of the local MD club I'm a member of. Wanted to do a bit of "show and tell" with my new PP and Equinox 800 MD, as I'm the only one there with these two devices.

After last night's exhibition, I don't think many members are going to be switching to the F-Pulse. Mine has to go back, unless there is a user fix for the issue I'm now seeing...

When the PP is on, many times it can not be turned off. It just seems to freeze with the LED on, but it stops detecting anything...it just goes silent, and locks up. So basically, If I'm in the hole using the PP, I'd have no idea it's stopped working, until I take it out of the hole and touch it to something metal like my MD sitting nearby, and realize it's not working. The multifunction button becomes totally unresponsive.

The only way I've figured out how to remedy the lock-up is to loosen the cap until it breaks contact with the batteries. Screwing it back on makes the probe work again, until it decides to lock up once more. I'm starting to wonder if all the marks on the cap are from a previous owner having to remove and retighten the cap multiple, multiple times before I received it. It also appears from doing some more forum surfing that this locking-up issue is not only happening on my PP.

I asked the vendor I purchased it from for an exchange, but he seems to have decided this is not something he wants to handle, directing me to contact Fisher. Fisher says they will help me, but they need to "get to the bottom of this", and to "be patient". I'll give it a few days and then contact my credit card company, as I don't want to get stuck with defective, and possibly returned/refurbished merchandise. Obviously, as you can see I'm not a happy consumer! :(

I feel your pain! My first F-Pulse did the exact same thing, within a week of ownership. Fisher did have me send it in(at my cost) and a replacement was sent. The second one did the same thing on my first actual hunt. I talked with three different phone reps about this one. I discovered there was looseness inside when I shook the pointer, telling me the batteries weren't tight. I was able to get the little spring stretched in the cap and get a consistent operation, but the sensitivity in depth dropped compared to the first F-Pulse. This F-Pulse is no better than my Garretts Carrot, and I can't be certain that it stays fully operational all during a hunt.

I gave Fisher that information, and was told they would watch the assembly line for a "hotter" unit. I've not heard anything back since then. My first impressions with the first F-Pulse was absolutely wonderful until the lockups, and then especially dismayed after the second one stumbled and dropped sensitivity.

I am hoping they will come through and the third unit is a good one. Having to physically stretch that spring on a brand new unit indicates a quality control issue by itself.

Is there a point in time with bad customer satisfaction that a manufacturer will give a refund?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to run through the different frequencies to see if you can find something hotter. I don't know, just something to try.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy, I checked several caps, they are all perfect:

BattCap.jpg

So I don't know what happened with the one you got.

The lock-up issue happens if you turn the unit on with the coil next to metal. Basically an overload condition. Few people have run into this in actual field use, in fact it was never noticed in field testing. In hindsight I'm a little surprised. I've now fixed that problem (software) and in the bargain added some new useful features.

If you are not getting satisfaction via FTP then tell me and I will personally take care of it.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I would try to run through the different frequencies to see if you can find something hotter. I don't know, just something to try.

That wasn't necessary at all with the first F-Pulse. I did try weak the frequency so it would accept my FBS machines, and it did that function very well, STILL keeping high conductor detection "consistently" well past the 3 inch mark. Pre-dig detection was really fun on general 3" buried coins. The low conductors(nickels) would hit FIVE inches on the first one.

This replacement F-Pulse hits less than 3 inches on a dime, and only 3 1/4" on a nickel. Fisher's quality control engineer I talked with, said those measurements were the norm.

Well Frank, what the heck happened to the depth and sensitivity the original F-Pulse gave me? I remember other owners of the first runs of the F-Pulse saying the depth detection was like the TRX, plus it had side detection. I obviously wasn't the only one with first units delivered, which had this impressive selling aspect due to TRX sensitivity and depth for this Fisher PI pinpointer.

Like the ol'lady from the 60s-70s commercial saying "Where's the beef!" I ask, "Where's the depth!" It was there before on the first unit.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is not concluded from an air test...distance is. The F-Pulse is a PI and made to see through minerals rich in salt and iron much better than a VLF like the TRX (or Carrot or Makro).

It is real world usage you will see the benefits of depth from the F-Pulse over other VLF pointers...not a bench test.

That being said...my brand new date coded F-Pulse does test (and perform) better than the earlier version. Like the cap...I have not seen such an issue.

First Texas has great customer service...I'm guessing getting a new cap to the OP is no problem at all.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Depth is not concluded from an air test...distance is. The F-Pulse is a PI and made to see through minerals rich in salt and iron much better than a VLF like the TRX (or Carrot or Makro).

It is real world usage you will see the benefits of depth from the F-Pulse over other VLF pointers...not a bench test.

That being said...my brand new date coded F-Pulse does test (and perform) better than the earlier version. Like the cap...I have not seen such an issue.

First Texas has great customer service...I'm guessing getting a new cap to the OP is no problem at all.

I can agree about air tests as not a definitive, yet it is one benchmark, and in my case, the failure to air test at 3+ inches on a 3" underground coin in my home garden, proves this replacement does not equal my first F-Pulse. I successfully detected many 3" signals pre-dig with the first Pulse. That was very impressing and made the pulse induction feature of the F-Pulse a seller to me.

Air tests showing 4-5 inches instead of 2 & 3/4 to 3 & 1/4 inches in air with this replacement, does mean a lot of practical difference. Especially when the replacement now misses my dedicated 3" dime in the coin garden. First one hit it well, and air tested like the two Utube vids. Air tests have a purpose.

I still hope that Fisher customer service gets back to me and has one to send that gets at the very least, consistent 3.5" on a dime or copper penny in air tests. Under 3 inches makes the F-Pulse the same as my old Garret Carrot.

If there hadn't been these reports and vids of the Pulse slamming 3 inches on high conductors, all day long, plus my first one DOING IT...well, I might stay less vocal. It is still a customer satisfaction world in manufacturing though, and these social networking sites are great marketing tools. The internet is also a great tool as a real world test environment, so the new buyers of any product, can get actual "real world info" before a mistake might be made. It ain't easy swallowing a $129 loss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy, I checked several caps, they are all perfect:

View attachment 1591477

So I don't know what happened with the one you got.

The lock-up issue happens if you turn the unit on with the coil next to metal. Basically an overload condition. Few people have run into this in actual field use, in fact it was never noticed in field testing. In hindsight I'm a little surprised. I've now fixed that problem (software) and in the bargain added some new useful features.

If you are not getting satisfaction via FTP then tell me and I will personally take care of it.

I ended up sending mine back to First Texas a few days ago. They sent me a FedEx label to cover the shipping. As to the locking-up, the unit was nowhere near metal when it was turned on, and it did not lock up immediately upon turning it on. It was turned on, and then handed around a table for users to look at it. It locked up after 3 or 4 people had handled it each time.
The gentleman I spoke with (Felix) from I believe Tech Support (Communications via email, and a phone call I received) said that there were no F-Pulse units available that he could obtain to send to me. He stated that there should be more available by the end of May, and he would send one out when they became available. He said he would also contact me if the units were delayed. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long, as I'm a bit nervous that if I do run into issues with the replacement, I don't seem to be able to send it to the original vendor (BBH), and Fisher itself probably wouldn't refund my money, and by the time all is said and done, I'll probably be beyond the time frame to get things rectified with the credit card company.

I picked this unit, as I wanted something "better" than a Garrett AT. I'm hoping that I made a good choice:dontknow:!
As to FTP customer service, so far, so good. Maybe end of May units will have some of the bugs worked out.

And curious... Carl, what are the "new useful features"?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread