$50> pinpointer

tucker810

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
i know there is a master thread, but I have different criteria. I need a pin-pointer that works and will continue to work, that's pretty much it. One i found was: https://www.amazon.com/Pinpointer-M...542841&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=pinpointer&psc=1 does this look ok? Do you guys have any suggestions, it isn't worth it to spend more than 50, if i only use it a couple times a month. Thanks for any suggestions.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know there is a master thread, but I have different criteria. I need a pin-pointer that works and will continue to work, that's pretty much it. One i found was: https://www.amazon.com/Pinpointer-M...542841&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=pinpointer&psc=1 does this look ok? Do you guys have any suggestions, it isn't worth it to spend more than 50, if i only use it a couple times a month. Thanks for any suggestions.

Buy a decent pin pointer. Otherwise you will be disappointed. I recommend garrot or whites trx

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tpmetal has it right, IMO: spend the money on a good Pin Pointer.

Don't cheap out on this important tool for our hobby.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One good one is orange.one is black and red. One is green. Like these guys said. Buy a good one.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My go-to is my Deteknix X-pointer, but JUST IN CASE...I bought one of those Chinese Carrot lookalikes off Feebay for, like, $30...and it'll do in a pinch if my XP goes south. You can still find the XP, btw, for under $90.

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpointer you linked to can be found on eBay for approx $35. It goes by the name of " jeemak" and you can find YouTube videos on the unit.

JustDarrin

Apr 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here ya go!

I bought a Garrett clone on Ebay....Amazing!!...I have used Garrett pinpointers before...this one does as good for 29 bucks. You will find everything is SO overpriced in detecting. Trust me...this will work for you. I love mine! 56652852_2170530083066367_935154598136512512_n.jpg

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Give a report after 30 hours of field time. I'm game to try one for that cost. I have only heard bad things about that pointer though. Maybe the Chinese finally got the backward engineering figured out.

Let us know.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tpmetal has it right, IMO: spend the money on a good Pin Pointer.

Don't cheap out on this important tool for our hobby.
True! Spend the extra to get a good one now or spend as much or even more replacing a cheap one later. And count on the fact the cheap one will take a dump out in the field three miles from your truck.

jet747

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett clone on Ebay....Amazing!!...I have used Garrett pinpointers before...this one does as good for 29 bucks. You will find everything is SO overpriced in detecting. Trust me...this will work for you. I love mine! View attachment 1702291

I also run the GP Pointer ($20 ebay). It works great ! I have well over 30 hours on mine and have used it everywhere , from salt beaches to fields and parks. Although its only water resistant (not 100% waterproof) I have dunked mine in the water quickly to rinse it off . I like mine so much that I just ordered the GP Pointer 2 . GP pointer 2 is a TRX clone. I dont think there are to many of the GP pointer 2 models available in the US right now so I had to order mine from over seas . The one I did find on ebay ,the guy wanted double of what I payed ($33. usd shipped) . It will take about 3 weeks to receive .

I will say this about my GP pointer . When first purchased I was only getting about 1.5" of depth out of it. I have since super tuned it by adding a .50c metal hose clamp on it. Does it look hokey ? sure, but for the price ($20.50 w/mod) I now get 3" - 3.5" of depth out of it consistently . I would buy 5 more of these before I buy any similar pinpointer that cost $100.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I will say this about my GP pointer . When first purchased I was only getting about 1.5" of depth out of it. I have since super tuned it by adding a .50c metal hose clamp on it. Does it look hokey ? sure, but for the price ($20.50 w/mod) I now get 3" - 3.5" of depth out of it consistently . I would buy 5 more of these before I buy any similar pinpointer that cost $100."

What do a hose clamp do?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the GP pointer back when I didnt know any better, I have the Garrett Pro pointer 2 and the Minelab profind 35, I will not waist my time and money again they are junk, might as well use the Harbor freight pointer its just as good as the GP junk..

I get the feeling they guys who talk up the cheep chines pointers haven't used a good quality pointer and dont know any better...

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
30 hours....that's a drop in a bucket for a detector let alone for a pinpointer!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Jet747. Come back and let us know how it's working after 3000 hours.

It IS worth it to spend more than $50 for a good one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get what you pay for.

jet747

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Deep1 check out the video . He uses a coin but same concept, the hose clamp I use is tightened down in the sweet spot so it doesn't move .

Worked the GP pointer on the salty sand beach again yesterday , when finished I dunked it in the ocean to clean it off . Still working 100% today even though this model does not claim to be waterproof. I ordered the SHRXY GP pointer 2 (TRX clone) . GP2 claims to be 100% waterproof. I will definitely be testing it out in the Atlantic when it arrives .

OP I have spent $53.50 (shipping included) for 2 pinpointers.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 35 years and have never used or needed a pinpointer. just a good detector and a 1942 U.S Army shovel

Detecting before discrimination.
Biggest improvement in metal detecting: discrimination.
Second biggest: pin pointer.
Bought one this year.
I love it. Should have bought one years ago.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett clone on Ebay....Amazing!!...I have used Garrett pinpointers before...this one does as good for 29 bucks. You will find everything is SO overpriced in detecting. Trust me...this will work for you. I love mine! View attachment 1702291

JUNK ! If you ever use a Garrett Pro Pointer, there is no comparison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread