Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a newly released competitor's pinpointer that either does not work properly, or just plain interferes with my Minelab Equinox 800....so I need to get something else. I've tried a fellow club member's Garrett Pro-Pointer and it works well and does not interfere with my 800. So, I figured I'd get an AT "Carrot". So, I do some research on the AT, and see a whole bunch of older threads talking about failures and issues and all kinds of problems...people getting them repaired 3 or 4 times, and them still breaking...

Now, most of those threads were a few years old. My question is this...

Have the issues been ironed out, or are the Garretts still prone to breaking? I know they are US based and have good customer service, but I don't want to have to continually have to keep sending a unit back for repairs (and pay all the extra shipping costs to get it back to them), and be without a PP for a period of weeks/months. So, are they reliable nowadays, or should I go elsewhere? My second choice "might" be a White's TRX, but I'm not sure that a tip-only pointer is something I might like. Then again, I may like tip-only better...I don't know. My current unit (side -sensing), which is the first real PP I've ever owned is so sensitive, it beeps from a good foot away when entering a hole, and then I have to ratchet down the sensitivity many times to find the item, which slows things down considerably, as the whole hole beeps. I also have to place my MD coil straight behind me (like 4 feet away), and my digger a few feet away from the hole to prevent falsing. This PP also beeps every time the tip touches the ground, and then I think I'm on the target, but I'm not. Basically, it's gotta go....

Yes, I could spend many more hours searching newer threads to see what's what, but figured I'd use the combined knowledge of the forum to get me the answer I need.:icon_thumright: Thanks in advance!

Andy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions