Black garret vs carrot..

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have both and the carrot can run silent. That and it is supposed to be waterproof to 10 feet. The carrot has 6 settings. 3 with speaker and 3 without. The third setting in either speaker or silent has the furthest depth. I'd guess setting #2 is about the same as the original black one. The button is hard plastic, not soft rubber. I had two buttons on the original black one break on me.
I like them both but if you need to be quiet, the carrot.
Watch out for copies made in china.

HH ALL!

Ozarkshunter

Tenderfoot
Aug 19, 2014
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
white's mxt pro and fisher cz-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my son both have the Carrot. We use them in the water about 75 percent of the time. Both have leaked and 1 is ruined. I put the twist cap on soo tight that I am the only 1 who can open them, sometimes I have to use channel locks to get them off. Just thought I might warn you. With that said, I haven't contacted Garrett about it yet.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my son both have the Carrot. We use them in the water about 75 percent of the time. Both have leaked and 1 is ruined. I put the twist cap on soo tight that I am the only 1 who can open them, sometimes I have to use channel locks to get them off. Just thought I might warn you. With that said, I haven't contacted Garrett about it yet.

I wore through the tip of mine and the button rubber and my back seal never leaked. You might want to contact garrett, as that sounds off. also over tightening is not usually the solution with waterproofing stuff, which also if you have to do that is why I would contact garrett.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don’t have the black version but have used the orange one. It can run both audio and silent. I prefer silent with vibrations but it does emit audio both when turning it on and again turning it off. The orange is easier to spot when it gets dark but I am starting to tether my pinpointer so as not to leave it behind accidentally. When the battery starts getting weak the orange one acts erratically. I recently had erratic performance and nonperformance even with a new battery so it is currently being checked out by Garrett. All the best to you. thanks

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A layer or two of tape quiet-ups my black nicely.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both and favor the old black pinpointer over the carrot unless the ground is saturated, where the plug fills with water immediately. I enjoy the simple things like push once it's on and push again and it's off.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
As far as turning it on, the carrot is the SAME as the black one. Push it once, it's on, push it again and it's off.
I like the silent part. I have tape on both of my black ones to quite them down a little but the buttons are wearing out and I have already sent them back for repair when they were under warranty. The hard plastic button seems to be a better idea, however I hear that they are leaking there as you can't see the seal like you can on the soft button/black ones.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both and just like everyone else the button goes bad on the black ones such that you have to hold it in to make it stay on.
The orange one as previously mentioned is a lot easier to find if you walk away from it.
I think if you keep the threads clean when changing the battery and don't overtighten the cap, like it says in the owner's manual, you won't have any trouble with water getting in.
The plastic used on the black one will wear down at the tip much faster than the orange one. I assume the orange one is made of harder more durable plastic.
My black one was wore out within a year, and my orange one has been treated pretty rough for just over 2 years and still works, but is finally starting to act up as if the insides have slipped down too far so I occasionally have to tap the cap on the ground to get it to come back on.
As far as the settings go I just leave it on medium power all the time.
Overall the orange one is better in every way and well worth the few extra dollars.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
One of my black one's broke in the "on" position. I used it for quit a while like that.....had to twist the battery cap to turn it off.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrapped the end of my carrot with a strip of yellow duct tape which overhangs the end. Won't come off until I want to change it and protects the tip. Also shows up well, which is nice cause I tend to keep going when it gets dark. Also wrapped a strip of the yellow tape around the handle of my digger for the same reason.
Think a tether would be a good idea .
The carrot did act erratically when the battery went low.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and favor the old black pinpointer over the carrot unless the ground is saturated, where the plug fills with water immediately. I enjoy the simple things like push once it's on and push again and it's off.

I agree 100%

The carrot is great if you are in wet areas but a few things Ive noticed is :

1. the button can be finicky
2. seems to false more than the the original in certain areas.
3. they went cheap on the plastic..Ive had 2 Carrots that wore a whole in the tip within 2 years....whereas the black ones that I have used to 5+ years and never had a problem with anything other than the button.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Hmm. I find the button on my black ones to be the finicky ones. I also find the black ones false more than my carrot. Also, I think the opposite on the use wear. The carrot is better quality plastic and the black tips wear away faster.
Interesting.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm. I find the button on my black ones to be the finicky ones. I also find the black ones false more than my carrot. Also, I think the opposite on the use wear. The carrot is better quality plastic and the black tips wear away faster.
Interesting.

That's what I was thinking

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
original black one, the power button became defective
I had 2 orange ones leak underwater

I like the orange one better but wouldn't use it submerged again

Garrett did replace both with new ones

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have both the Black and the Carrot; use the Black 99% and the Carrot 1% as reasoned by Loco-Digger above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions