Why no more in-line pinpointers?

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
I use a Minelab E-trac with a Sunray inline pinpointer. It is so nice being able to hear the same detector sounds in the same headphones while pinpointing a target once the hole is dug. It is faster IMO being able to pinpoint the actual target instead of some rusty nail next to it. Metal detectors are getting better at "sifting" through trash to find the good stuff but once the hole is dug searching for the target with an all metal pinpointer just seems counter productive.

Why aren't detector companies making inline pinpointers for their machines? I know the tech exists to make a light weight even wireless solution. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't anyone want something like this instead of the more common all metal pinpointers? Thanks!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an XS, a SE Pro and an Etrac, all with the X-1...and I'll never part with any of them. 😁 Don't know why SunRay kinda gave up. 😞

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
I have an XS, a SE Pro and an Etrac, all with the X-1...and I'll never part with any of them.  Don't know why SunRay kinda gave up. 

Yep, it is strange that they stopped making them. I know CTX and Equinox users would buy them if they were available. Imagine say a Equinox 800 with a nice handheld wireless inline probe? Heck, even a lightweight wired probe would be awesome!! Like I said, why wouldn't anyone not want one?

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, the key word is Wired. Wireless is the way to go imo. I have tried a Sunray product before attached to a Minelab and it worked well but hated feeling bound.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy a Deus, they have a wireless pinpointer available that sounds through your headphones.

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
To me, the key word is Wired. Wireless is the way to go imo. I have tried a Sunray product before attached to a Minelab and it worked well but hated feeling bound.

True, wireless would be best. But wired wouldn't bother me, especially since part of the benefit is that you use the detector buttons with it. For example pinpointing is done by using the detector pinpointing button.

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Just buy a Deus, they have a wireless pinpointer available that sounds through your headphones.

The Deus pinpointer, and the Garrett with Z-Link are still all metal. I think the ability to detect the target in the hole vs some piece of iron for example is a huge plus.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I used the inline on the Etrac for a couple years but got tired of getting tangled up, PP being tethered to machine and the extra weight. Didn't find much advantage for anything but all metal in a PP either. I really tried to but could not mesh with the SunRay and parted with it long before moving on from Etrac. Maybe I will try the Deus PP when Garretts all croak. You would think today their would be more options. Soon I bet.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an S-1 on one of my Sovereigns and love it. Even though it's large, bulky, adds weight to an already heavy enough machine, and has a cord to tangle and accidentally cut, I still like it and wish I had one on some other detectors. I recently bought that new F-pulse for when i want to use a different detector and it does work good but it will never be what the Sun Ray is running through the Sovereign electronics.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the fact that the X-1 will tell me if the silver dime VDI I saw is in the plug or still in the hole. Saves a little time. Wireless is just gonna beep in my ear.

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
I think that people who haven't used something like this don't realize how useful it can be. Not sure why it hasn't caught on more other than it's no longer available? :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an XS, a SE Pro and an Etrac, all with the X-1...and I'll never part with any of them.  Don't know why SunRay kinda gave up. 
Could be a lot of ones did not like them and did not buy them. I am one that did not like them and would not use them ...So there must be a lot that did not like them like myself..

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also tried one on my Whites, just didn`t care for it. I have a like new DX-1 if anyone is interested.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a thread on here in one of the sub forums addressing the issue, I can’t remember the exact reason, but if I recall it was around the time the 3030’s came out, I’m not quite sure, just can’t remember. I have them on my Explorer’s and love them. I have a Garrett carrot and use it too, I bought it for my grandson to use while water hunting with me. Good Luck!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had one mounted on my CZ for awhile. Loved the performance, especially at trashy sites where there might be multiple targets in the same hole. Didn't mind the wire at all. Just didn't like the way it made a heavy, S-rod mounted detector feel even heavier. Would be great on a lighter machine. I might put it back on one of these days, or I might just keep using the TRX.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt like them because they were model specific, if you had more than one model you had to buy one for each model, a hand held worked with any model..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread