Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Butler
  • 1 Post By Bquamb
  • 1 Post By gunsil
  • 1 Post By RW

Thread: Why no more in-line pinpointers?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
    42 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Why no more in-line pinpointers?

I use a Minelab E-trac with a Sunray inline pinpointer. It is so nice being able to hear the same detector sounds in the same headphones while pinpointing a target once the hole is dug. It is faster IMO being able to pinpoint the actual target instead of some rusty nail next to it. Metal detectors are getting better at "sifting" through trash to find the good stuff but once the hole is dug searching for the target with an all metal pinpointer just seems counter productive.

Why aren't detector companies making inline pinpointers for their machines? I know the tech exists to make a light weight even wireless solution. Am I missing something? Why wouldn't anyone want something like this instead of the more common all metal pinpointers? Thanks!
    Hillbilly Prince and Ogre1190 like this.

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1690 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have an XS, a SE Pro and an Etrac, all with the X-1...and I'll never part with any of them. 😁 Don't know why SunRay kinda gave up. 😞
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    42 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre1190 View Post
    I have an XS, a SE Pro and an Etrac, all with the X-1...and I'll never part with any of them.  Don't know why SunRay kinda gave up. 
    Yep, it is strange that they stopped making them. I know CTX and Equinox users would buy them if they were available. Imagine say a Equinox 800 with a nice handheld wireless inline probe? Heck, even a lightweight wired probe would be awesome!! Like I said, why wouldn't anyone not want one?

ca
    Tall-ass coil sweeper

Dec 2014
    Vancouver Island
    CTX 3030
    294 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    To me, the key word is Wired. Wireless is the way to go imo. I have tried a Sunray product before attached to a Minelab and it worked well but hated feeling bound.
    RW likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2200 times
    Just buy a Deus, they have a wireless pinpointer available that sounds through your headphones.
    RW likes this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    42 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bquamb View Post
    To me, the key word is Wired. Wireless is the way to go imo. I have tried a Sunray product before attached to a Minelab and it worked well but hated feeling bound.
    True, wireless would be best. But wired wouldn't bother me, especially since part of the benefit is that you use the detector buttons with it. For example pinpointing is done by using the detector pinpointing button.

us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    42 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    Just buy a Deus, they have a wireless pinpointer available that sounds through your headphones.
    The Deus pinpointer, and the Garrett with Z-Link are still all metal. I think the ability to detect the target in the hole vs some piece of iron for example is a huge plus.

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    580 times
    Cache Hunting
    I used the inline on the Etrac for a couple years but got tired of getting tangled up, PP being tethered to machine and the extra weight. Didn't find much advantage for anything but all metal in a PP either. I really tried to but could not mesh with the SunRay and parted with it long before moving on from Etrac. Maybe I will try the Deus PP when Garretts all croak. You would think today their would be more options. Soon I bet.
    gunsil likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    Earth
    A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
    273 times
    I have an S-1 on one of my Sovereigns and love it. Even though it's large, bulky, adds weight to an already heavy enough machine, and has a cord to tangle and accidentally cut, I still like it and wish I had one on some other detectors. I recently bought that new F-pulse for when i want to use a different detector and it does work good but it will never be what the Sun Ray is running through the Sovereign electronics.
    Never keep a paper dollar in your pocket till tomorrow

us
    Been there...Dug that

Mar 2015
    Northern Illinois
    MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS, White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
    1690 times
    Metal Detecting
    I like the fact that the X-1 will tell me if the silver dime VDI I saw is in the plug or still in the hole. Saves a little time. Wireless is just gonna beep in my ear.
    "There's GOLD in them thar hills! Well...at least a coupla nice Mercs."

us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    42 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I think that people who haven't used something like this don't realize how useful it can be. Not sure why it hasn't caught on more other than it's no longer available?

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links