lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready to buy my first pin pointer, and from what I've determined researching so far, the Garrett Propointer AT may the one to get. One question I have is, can this pin pointer be used for gold creviceing? The other question I have is I found this one for sale on eBay for $89.45 with accessories and free shipping. That is much cheaper than I found on other detector dealer sites. Is there something to beware of for that price?

Thanks
Lamar

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tokameel, I think your right. I looked back at the eBay add for that Garrett Propointer AT pin pointer, and even though everything looked right on the description, it said free shipping from China, and it could be up to 2 months to receive. That's a red flag as far as I'm concerned. By the way, that stud finder as a pin pointer is interesting, but I think I'll stick with the real thing.

Lamar

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tokameel, I think your right. I looked back at the eBay add for that Garrett Propointer AT pin pointer, and even though everything looked right on the description, it said free shipping from China, and it could be up to 2 months to receive. That's a red flag as far as I'm concerned. By the way, that stud finder as a pin pointer is interesting, but I think I'll stick with the real thing.

Lamar

Thats the one that says Garrett in the description but its a GP pointer. The Garrett carrot does not come with the lanyard.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buy the pin pointer from one of our Tnet vendors, you will not be sorry!

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my new Garrett Pro-Pointer AT from Texhoma metal Detectors a little over a week ago, and the first time out with it, it worked great. Found the most coins ever, and saved me much time searching through the dirt looking for my finds. Yesterday, my 2nd time out with it, it was working fine, until something weird started happening. It would go off beeping when I would just rotate the point end downward without being near a metallic target. I kept turning it off and on to see if it would clear up, but no help. I then started thinking that the cheap carbon battery that it came with may be bad, so when I got home I put in a new alkaline battery. That didn't help, so I tried reading through the manual to see if I missed anything. After going through the process of settings as given in the manual it seems to be working now, but I'm not completely confident that there could be an intermittent problem. Has anyone had this experience before.

Lamar

OP
OP
L

lamarkeiko

Dec 30, 2018
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out with my Garrett Pro AT for the 3rd time, and it has been working perfectly now. I don't know if this has made a difference, but every time I turn it on now, I have it touching the ground first where there is no target with my detector.

Lamar

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen moister cause that issue, drys up works fine... but the AT pointer should be waterproof....

DiggerNut

Jun 10, 2019
SE Alabama
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,Quick Draw Pro,Harbor Freight 9
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the GP Pointer for a week now.Tad less than $20. Shipped ! Does a GREAT job! Was skiddish about it at first,watched a veteran Detectorist Video who was tired of paying high prices for a pointer & not lasting long under his constant use! He got the CHEAP GP & said "This Thing Will Not Die!".... LOL !
So gave it a shot,love it,done air test,just like on the Garret II Pinpointer on Youtube.Well it BEATS IT!
And just think,can have several backups for the price of one of the High End Ones....
BTW,All will learn,i don't pony up if i can get same functionality. Like paying for Cable/Sat,nay,not when can watch free.... LOL !

Bforbis

Jun 15, 2019
West coast Flo Reduh
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had similar issues with my Garett pin pointer. I don’t know if it is operator error or other. I changed battery and will see.
I can put-tip in water, it will go off like metal object. Any feedback appreciated

raf_sing

Greenie
Jan 2, 2014
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had similar issues with my Garett pin pointer. I don’t know if it is operator error or other. I changed battery and will see.
I can put-tip in water, it will go off like metal object. Any feedback appreciated

Ten bucks says that was sea water, am I right? Same thing is happening to me. My AT goes off like a pinball machine the second I dip the tip in sea water, or even just waterlogged sand.

I checked online, even asked Garrett by email (awaiting their reply) but I can't find anything on how the AT pointer is meant to work in sea water.

I submersed it in a swimming pool and it doesn't go off, so most likely it's the sea water conductivity that sets it off.

I did come across a few regular Garrett pointer clips where they mention groundbasing it before using it at the beach. I'm guessing this is the issue, but I'm not sure why Garrett has opted to leave this part out altogether from their pretty substantial AT manual.

Finally, I also came across a few videos where the AT is being used at sea whilst scubadiving and it seems to work fine.

Bottom line: Does anyone know how to use the Garrett AT Pointer in the sea? Is groundbasing required? If so, won't this reduce sensitivity?

Cheers.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve been having issues with my Garrett AT recently. It will either only pick up my trowel or nothing at all. Now I have to check it against my wedding ring every time I turn it on. This is the newer Zlink model that came with my ATmax, the older one works fine. Weird

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
QUESTION about the Garrett Pro Pointer AT::::::

Does it make a distinctive high pitched sound when it detects "cable" (as in buried cable tv/internet cable)?

I was using it the other day after having dug a hole that the Nox 600 gave a signal in the 20s (but was bouncing all over)...Used the Garrett Pro Pointer in the hole and it started squeeling a sort of weird high pitched squeel. I looked in the hole after "hand" moving some loose dirt and saw a buried cable. It was only buried about 2-3 inches.

So in this case, was it just that I was right on top of a concentrated copper source (the insulated cable) and it made the high pitched constant squeel or is it a "feature" for finding underground cable to prevent us from cutting it with a shovel?

David866

Jun 28, 2019
Malta(Saratoga) NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buyer beware

China is producing and selling Garrett clone pointers. They have flooded ebay, Alibaba, and other web sites with these cheap, and basically worthless copy cats. Some of the sellers even go so far as to use the actual pictures from the Garrett sales catalog. I have spoken to Garrett customer service to confirm this. Garrett makes great products, but to ensure you get the real thing, always get them from Garrett's site or a local, certified dealer. Or used, make sure you can trust the seller. The fakes are cosmetically very close, buy there are subtle differences to look for. And ANY pin pointer shipping from China is a fake! For example...
fakegarrett.jpg

Daddio Digger

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett Carrot works very well to pinpoint even before you start digging.

It’s simple, locate the target with your metal detector, and the Carrot will locate the correct area to start digging at.

No off centers, or having to dig another hole.

Only drawback is depth so if it’s with a couple inches of the surface, you’re good to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions