Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like a 360 PP.
The tip is still the most sensitive area. So even though it will read a target along the length of the PP, the tip is used for PP.
If the target is in the hole, 360 will show quickly if it is in the bottom or in the side of the hole.
If I find it is in the side of the hole, I will orient the tip toward the side and use tip to PP.
If target is out of hole, I run PP parallel to pile or plug, when I get a signal I know it is in line with PP and turn it perpendicular and run tip along that line to PP.
To me, 360 makes recovery faster and easier.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe just the opposite. I like the tip only detection. I seem to be able to zero in on a target faster that way.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Garrett pro 360 and used it for a few months. I wound up digging BIG holes because when I put it into a hole it would go off but I didn't know which way to dig. I then bought the Whites and now I just point it in the side or bottom of the hole and it tells me where the coin is. smaller holes and much less work.

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used a Garrett clone for long enough to know that the 360 thing is okay, but I am really itching to go with a more sensitive tip only unit....and the Whites unit appears to me to be the more logical choice. I think smaller plugs and the ability to pinpoint right from the grass down is gonna be not only a timesaver, but with my shoulders a pain saver. Jes sayin'.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're talking about the musonece, that's what I've been using as well. I intend to upgrade this month but am still undecided.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you will read the directions, you will find that the Garrett will pinpoint with a simple detuning of the unit by pressing the on off button once.

Threads like this make me know for a fact that there are many many folks out there that don't know how to use their metal detectors hardly at all.

My hinged plugs are so small I can't get my hand down in them.

It sounds like Deep1 knows. Billieg missed the boat big time.

OP
OP
S

Steve_K

Aug 7, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If you will read the directions, you will find that the Garrett will pinpoint with a simple detuning of the unit by pressing the on off button once.

Threads like this make me know for a fact that there are many many folks out there that don't know how to use their metal detectors hardly at all."

And responses like this are the reason I started the thread. Don't own either unit and so don't have either owner's manual. That's good information and will help me make a decision.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt lawns and want to keep your holes to a minimum, then a tip-only PP is better. If you relic hunt fields or beach hunt where you dig up a big shovel-full and spread it out, the 360 PP will be faster. I have both.

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will read the directions, you will find that the Garrett will pinpoint with a simple detuning of the unit by pressing the on off button once.

Threads like this make me know for a fact that there are many many folks out there that don't know how to use their metal detectors hardly at all.

My hinged plugs are so small I can't get my hand down in them.

It sounds like Deep1 knows. Billieg missed the boat big time.

Really? I read the instructions and detuning it means it doesn't go down as far and most times turns it off... and it still goes off 360* so what's the point? Buy the Whites and don't worry about all the BS...

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got both the TRX and Carrot. Whichever one you use and learn will be the one you're used to over time. Both are good but the Carrot doesn't false nearly as much.as any pointers I've ever tried. I also like the "360" since it picks up nails in the sidewall quicker too. Thats just my thoughts on it.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like a 360 PP.
The tip is still the most sensitive area. So even though it will read a target along the length of the PP, the tip is used for PP.
If the target is in the hole, 360 will show quickly if it is in the bottom or in the side of the hole.
If I find it is in the side of the hole, I will orient the tip toward the side and use tip to PP.
If target is out of hole, I run PP parallel to pile or plug, when I get a signal I know it is in line with PP and turn it perpendicular and run tip along that line to PP.
To me, 360 makes recovery faster and easier.
Good review
360 degrees is quite useful as stated
The NOkta pointer finds target quickly and can be dumbed-down to just the tip is sensitive
It finds the smallest bits of metal…!
In all, it’s just a sexy pointer!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We already have an "area pointer" with our detectors. Then we want to pin point and the tip only does exactly that. Those hand held area pointers like the Garrett work well but to zero in on the target very quickly then you need a TRX or like. Just my thoughts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions