TRX so far....

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot Bedliner on DD Coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had it out for the first time today. Hogeeeeee is it sensitive! I am used to the carrot clone which gets 1 1/4 inches on a dime. They oughtta call the TRX the T-Rex. I have to work on getting used to it and probably set the sensitivity down a couple clicks. One thing 4 sure...I can pinpoint an object in the ground within a hairsbreadth. THAT I like...just have to figure out all the boo-beeps after getting setup mode. I think a couple to three inches is plenty deep so I will try to set it up like that by Detuning it. Did I say sensitive? Wow!

OP
OP
R

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: found the TRX extended user manual on line. I have set the T-REX to send #2, and beep only. Holding the unit OFF THE GROUND after ground balancing, and above the suspected target location, I do a slow criss-cross until I start getting click/beeps, then find where they are most common/fastest. Then I simply drop right to ground level and lightly do a small circular swirl until the beeps are most frequent. I keep in mind the depth the Patriot readout was. Most times all I had to do was pop the coin out with my hand DIGGER. Deeper targets became a snap. Right in the center of the plug and I purposely cut the plugs right at readout depth. In totlots, this thing is unbelievable...General point with detector and sweep the rough location with fingers in the wood chips. GB the REX, and then sweep lightly until it screams. I felt like a guy called Mudpuppy who specializes in stoop and stab. Yesterday I found 10 dollars in clad and a defunct(but silver) pocketwatch. Oh....in about 3 1/2 hours. I felt like a pro! All that aside, it DOES take some getting used to the sensitivity, so...of COURSE I am gonna go practice some more! Hope this helps those who are looking at pointers. (I still like my clone and there were times the LOW sensitivity was helpful, but I also learned how to ratchet down the send on the REX....so now the wife might inherit the clone and I can borrow it from her as a backup. Many thanx to Quality Metal Detectors for a great deal too!

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the TRX, but I have just one problem. I wish it was full submersible. It will shake off rain and a little dunking but nothing more.

OP
OP
R

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya. I have been extra careful. I don't hunt local water just land. Still, I am thinking of using Goodell to anchor a membrane over the speaker. It's an expensive little sucker but man do it grab them targets.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The TRX is a very good pin pointer.:icon_thumleft:

sodsquach

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a good pin pointer in that aspect. Just don't trust the waterproof ability. I'm on 2nd one and both filled with water in 7- 8 inches depth.

dickkolacki

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I coated the on/off button and speaker with Liquid Tape and seals well. It's durable enough to coat a couple inches of the tip to prevent wear. [3 coats, dry between coats] A smear of vaseline or grease on the battery cap o-ring just to make sure. IMG_20200306_170525559_HDR.jpg

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever think of using one of those vacuum seal bag machines?

dickkolacki

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much use if you have to change the batteries out in the field.

Loco Raindrops

Jul 26, 2020
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 with optional 6" coil, Whites MX Sport w/Garrett Z Link, Killer B's Stinger headphones, Predator Tools 85BC, Whites TRX pinpointer, Anaconda NX5 digger, Whites Digmaster hand digger,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For all of you talking about waterproofness of the TRX the problem is the membrane that covers the speaker. Over time dirt and debris get in there and damage the membrane.

As soon as I got mine years back I put a layer of Gorilla tape over the speaker cutout which eliminates this problem.

It doesn't impact volume much either.

I know this is kinda of an old thread but just wanted to point that out for those who may stumble on this feed for future reference.

OP
OP
R

RichieSoprano

Jun 3, 2019
Maine, formerly NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Good idea covering the speaker. Now that White's is kaput I better take care of the T-Rex.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been awhile since I have been on the forum. Good idea covering the speaker. Now that White's is kaput I better take care of the T-Rex.

I was gonna buy a trx for my next pin pointer..as i like the tip only detection..and when using a buddys ..it sure is deeper than a garret AT P.P ... i think I like tip only over the side detection on the garretts.. i wonder if garrett will keep that design going so we have choice on what wed rather have..

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
With any of the Garrett pinpointers it is sooooo easy to detune and pinpoint with the tip only.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread