Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Nokta Pulsedive Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I just received my pinpointer at yesterday and took it out to the beach here in NZ and I was getting signals in wet sand. I would dig and ground balance, dig and repeat and I ended up digging an arms length down and kept retuning it and it keeps taking me farther down. Is this just sand minerals and how do I get actual targets without endless digging. I got this so I could prevent this lol and save time. Also when I get it in the water it beeps instantly, retune every time and any water movement causes a beep. How many times can you retune before it’s at its limit and any saltwater and beach/ocean advice please share!!!

OP
OP
kblackfoto

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea as I was digging the endless hole, my ace 250 control panel got hit with a wave and it may be toast. Took it apart and rinsed it with freshwater and drying it out in hopes it will survive[emoji24]

OP
OP
kblackfoto

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my ace for 7 years and never have I got the control panel wet [emoji15]

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you say retuning, I take it you mean turning it on while it is in contact with the wet sand? You don't see many beach hunters with pinpointers. Maybe that is a reason why?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not going to work in wet saltwater sand. Get a sand scoop!:occasion14:

OP
OP
kblackfoto

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say retuning, I take it you mean turning it on while it is in contact with the wet sand? You don't see many beach hunters with pinpointers. Maybe that is a reason why?

I meant re-tuning so pushing the button to get it closer to the target

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I meant re-tuning so pushing the button to get it closer to the target

Well you can try holding the tip to the wet sand as you turn it on. Works sometimes, sort of a ground balance. But Terry probably right, wet beach sand too mineralised for pinpointer to function. It thinks the sand is metal basically.

OP
OP
kblackfoto

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea sucks because I thought it would do the trick. So you suggest any metal detector that is affordable for beach purposes?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea sucks because I thought it would do the trick. So you suggest any metal detector that is affordable for beach purposes?

Equinox 600 is about the best bargain you can get for beach hunting.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yea as I was digging the endless hole, my ace 250 control panel got hit with a wave and it may be toast. Took it apart and rinsed it with freshwater and drying it out in hopes it will survive[emoji24]

You might try spraying it with MAF (mass airflow) cleaner, you can get it at most autoparts stores. it's like ether and will drive out water and dry clean

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a google search for pulse induction pinpointers. My scuba tector works in saltwater, I loaned it to my cousin in Scotland they were using it in the North sea. Choose the Equinox 600 metal detector if you are gonna be in saltwater.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace and AT Pro can work fine on the dry sand but as soon as you hit the wet and damp they start to false from the saline and mineralized sand.
Probably a dedicated waterproof design would suit you better.

The Simplex is very affordable but on the beach in “Beach Mode” it suffers from being a 1 tone design. Hope they update that.
The Equinox 600 would be a much better choice but you will spend more.

After that comes the Sand Scoop. One can get by with the offerings on the different warehouse sites but most scoops can be a little challenging due to their design, size and weight etc.
The Sand Scoop needs to be a well thought out purchase as it is one of the most important tools in your detecting arsenal.

A small scoop won’t allow you to dig the dry sand before the sand caves into the hole. A heavy scoop is well, just too heavy and depending on the hole size, may just end up trapping damp sand in the scoop and not allowing it to empty without some effort.

Another thing to consider is your physical condition. Some of us, have problems with arthritis, surgeries and other limitations. This then requires a scoop that, with the long handle, is lightweight. So they sell a carbon fiber handle and titanium scoop for these individuals and others who enjoy that design.

The lighter the equipment, the longer you can hunt no matter what your physical condition.
One needs to add a long handle to the scoop to keep from bending down constantly.

Best of Luck!
Rusty

Last edited:
OP
OP
kblackfoto

kblackfoto

Greenie
Dec 30, 2019
Hamilton
Detector(s) used
Garret Pinpointer Pro
Ace Garret 250
Dr Otek Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well update, my Ace Garret is toast- I ruined any chance of it working again by trying to open the control panel to let it dry out and some components broke. Regardless, that wasn't going to stop me. I still decided to take the pinpointer out. I finally figured out the ground balance- as suggested here turning it on, holding it to the ground. I then adjust the sensitivity depending on if there is water movement. Lately (or pre-lockdown) I've been dragging it on a string lol. It has actually detected more genuine targets than my ace ever did. I am losing alot of ground but I'm not wasting time digging trash. I primarily do that at the beach. One of my new faves is to detect around rocks and in crevices. I found two large pre decimal nz pennies along with several other coins, a silver baby spoon, an old lock, countless old school nails, etc. So turned lemons into lemonade haha. I'm still on the hunt for a solid beach detector but decided I want something that can really discriminate targets well. Maybe a gold detector or something that has high accuracy. It's much more enjoyable when you dig more fun stuff than pull tabs!!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job with the pinpointer, LoL! Some interesting finds. Sorry about the loss of the Ace. Thanks for the update and Good luck!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too am sorry to hear about the loss of your Ace, but now you'll have the excitement of doing research and shopping for that new detector. If I may suggest, watch Utube videos on those units that you are most interested in. Great research tool. Best of luck to you.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I gave up on a deep hole near the water..After about a foot the water kept filling up and sand kept caving in...never did get the good sounding target with my hand scoop. No wonder I like the woods! I give you beach detectorists credit!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Equinox 600 is about the best bargain you can get for beach hunting.
or look for new used - I got a used once like new CZ21 Fisher for $600 on e bay few yrs back did not have a scratch on the coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions