Help with Garrett carrot, saltwater targets
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Help with Garrett carrot, saltwater targets

    Hi I just received my pinpointer at yesterday and took it out to the beach here in NZ and I was getting signals in wet sand. I would dig and ground balance, dig and repeat and I ended up digging an arms length down and kept retuning it and it keeps taking me farther down. Is this just sand minerals and how do I get actual targets without endless digging. I got this so I could prevent this lol and save time. Also when I get it in the water it beeps instantly, retune every time and any water movement causes a beep. How many times can you retune before itís at its limit and any saltwater and beach/ocean advice please share!!!

  2. #2
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Oh yea as I was digging the endless hole, my ace 250 control panel got hit with a wave and it may be toast. Took it apart and rinsed it with freshwater and drying it out in hopes it will survive

  3. #3
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Had my ace for 7 years and never have I got the control panel wet

  4. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Ron

    Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    875
    913 times
    Cache Hunting
    When you say retuning, I take it you mean turning it on while it is in contact with the wet sand? You don't see many beach hunters with pinpointers. Maybe that is a reason why?

  5. #5
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    17,232
    24021 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Not going to work in wet saltwater sand. Get a sand scoop!

  6. #6
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by RW View Post
    When you say retuning, I take it you mean turning it on while it is in contact with the wet sand? You don't see many beach hunters with pinpointers. Maybe that is a reason why?
    I meant re-tuning so pushing the button to get it closer to the target

  7. #7
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Not going to work in wet saltwater sand. Get a sand scoop!
    What wonít work?

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Ron

    Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    875
    913 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kblackfoto View Post
    I meant re-tuning so pushing the button to get it closer to the target
    Well you can try holding the tip to the wet sand as you turn it on. Works sometimes, sort of a ground balance. But Terry probably right, wet beach sand too mineralised for pinpointer to function. It thinks the sand is metal basically.

  9. #9
    nz
    Dec 2019
    Tauranga
    Ace Garret 250
    11
    5 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yea sucks because I thought it would do the trick. So you suggest any metal detector that is affordable for beach purposes?

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    Ron

    Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    875
    913 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kblackfoto View Post
    Yea sucks because I thought it would do the trick. So you suggest any metal detector that is affordable for beach purposes?
    Equinox 600 is about the best bargain you can get for beach hunting.

  11. #11

    Jan 2020
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kblackfoto View Post
    Yea sucks because I thought it would do the trick. So you suggest any metal detector that is affordable for beach purposes?
    ATpro works great

  12. #12
    Charter Member

    Feb 2017
    Pa
    EQ 800 & 600, Fisher F75 +, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Conquistador, Bounty hunter Tracker iv
    2,636
    4139 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleJim View Post
    ATpro works great
    No, it really doesn't.

  13. #13
    us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    165
    419 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by kblackfoto View Post
    Oh yea as I was digging the endless hole, my ace 250 control panel got hit with a wave and it may be toast. Took it apart and rinsed it with freshwater and drying it out in hopes it will survive
    You might try spraying it with MAF (mass airflow) cleaner, you can get it at most autoparts stores. it's like ether and will drive out water and dry clean
    The universe rewards the observant.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. garrett carrot help
    By lucky92 in forum Pinpointers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Sep 05, 2018, 09:38 PM
  2. Garrett carrot or Garrett Pro Pointer ll ?
    By dirtdigginfool in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Apr 27, 2017, 06:10 AM
  3. Garrett Carrot!
    By Auriemma in forum Pinpointers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 02, 2016, 02:51 PM
  4. Garrett Carrot Mod
    By Dr. Witty in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 09, 2015, 01:57 AM
  5. The Garrett Carrot
    By fuzzytexan in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 03, 2015, 09:11 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0