Anyone ever replace the speaker on the carrot ?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past when the speaker started muting it was because of dust getting into that little grill and into the speaker, a few taps was all it took to clear it out, either that or sometimes when the battery was ready to die the sound would get weak.

Now its barely audible, tried a new battery and the tapping trick, no joy. Would hate to send it in if its something simple, perhaps their service dept isn't even open I don't know.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might have dust or dirt caked in it.
Try blowing the speaker out with compressed air.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
My ears are shot. I wear hearing aids. Can't use the aids with the headphones. I have been going over a year and never noticed my speaker wasn't working until my wife told me it wan't working. Been just using the vibration. Works just fine.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the link! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Done deal, good as new.
Was a pain getting the solder out so I could insert the new speaker, maybe I need a better solder sucker but I ended up just drilling out little holes, soldered the new one back in and presto, I have sound again.

Total cost was $10, little speakers only cost $1 each but shipping was $7, I got 2 speakers in case it ever happens again. Time spent on the project, probably half an hour - Better than paying $40+ and wait weeks for repair.

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpg
    IMG_5290.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 142

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I have TWO broken carrots and I am annoyed. One is about 8 months old and it is very spotty in it's signal. The button is shot.

The other is about a month old and the speaker is broken. Vibration still works.

However much I love the carrot, this is ridiculous. It was never submerged or even washed with anything wetter than a damp towel and dried quickly. So, now I have to send both in.

I'm not impressed. Why can't they fix these issues BEFORE they sell them? Change the design? I know pinpointers take somewhat of a beating, but this is ridiculous.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a pipe out of a apple and a potato once when I was young.

They had no speakers.

:P

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a pipe out of a apple and a potato once when I was young.

They had no speakers.

:P

Apple for the bowl and the potato for the stem?...:laughing9:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have TWO broken carrots and I am annoyed. One is about 8 months old and it is very spotty in it's signal. The button is shot.

The other is about a month old and the speaker is broken. Vibration still works.

However much I love the carrot, this is ridiculous. It was never submerged or even washed with anything wetter than a damp towel and dried quickly. So, now I have to send both in.

I'm not impressed. Why can't they fix these issues BEFORE they sell them? Change the design? I know pinpointers take somewhat of a beating, but this is ridiculous.

I'd like to know how much you paid for those pointers and did either of them come with a lanyard?

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I paid approximately 125.00 more or less. I got one for about 119.00 or so due to being a repeat customer with this particular vendor. Generally, I see them for about 127.00 or so. Bart's Big Boy's Hobbies is wonderful to deal with, as often you don't have to pay for shipping.

By lanyard, do you mean the metal hook for hanging? They came with the holder, the instructions and the metal piece to attach to a lanyard.

I haven't abused either of them. The first one I semi fixed by spraying some W-D up in it because it was falsing and doing all kinds of weird stuff. But it's still not right.

The second one has had a month or two of use and it's speaker is broken.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple for the bowl and the potato for the stem?...:laughing9:

No... each their own dealio... I actually did not make them... the chef of a 5 star restaurant did ... I just worked there and partook outside by the dumpster :P

I was like 17.

:)

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can’t speak for all of them but I bought one for my grandkids to use when I am shallow water hunting, I give them two tries with the carrot before I scoop it and I have had the same one 2-3 years I hunt 1-2 times a week 3-4 hours a day, average 50 targets. The speaker don’t sound the the same but underwater it doesn’t matter to me. I feel I got my money’s worth the first year I owned it. I’m gonna buy another one just because. Good luck!

fortaleza

Jun 15, 2013
Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you remove the circuit board assembly from the housing? I have a carrot with a bad led and the pointer works ok. Has anyone
ever changed out the led?

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are dinky little screws to take out in the cap, after that the whole assembly slides right out, has slots on 2 sides which keeps it in place.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past when the speaker started muting it was because of dust getting into that little grill and into the speaker, a few taps was all it took to clear it out, either that or sometimes when the battery was ready to die the sound would get weak.

Now its barely audible, tried a new battery and the tapping trick, no joy. Would hate to send it in if its something simple, perhaps their service dept isn't even open I don't know.
Some times i take a stiff bristled tooth brush and clean the speaker slot openings. THAT HELPS A LOT !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread