Comparing a few PP's.

Simplexity

Oct 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm searching for a PP. (Pin-pointer)
I've been reading in the forums and so far the most recommended Pinpointers are the Garrett AT pro aka carrot, the more expensive Nokta PulseDive and the older original Nokta Pinpointer and a few others mentioned below.

The PulseDive I don't care for since I won't be using the Nokta wireless headphones. It is a great feature because it also pairs with your wireless headphones simultaneously and eliminates any interference.

But I hear the updated Simplex+ firmware now has a mute option so any other PP won't be an issue with interference.

The PulseDive is very bulky as well and more expensive than the other PP I looked into. ($160)

I read that the original Nokta PP ($85) has great depth and never fails.
Problem is that it's only waterproof for a few feet from what I read. Some say 3' some say 10' not even sure.

The Carrot AT ($127) is the most recommended but many people have problems with it. It gets chirpy, need to shut it on and off, need to place a coin to improve battery contact, and or stops working after a few years. But Garrett has great customer service and even if you're out of the 2 year warranty they will fix it for $28.
Still most people swear by it.
I'm still not convinced on the Carrot but I may end up getting one anyways. Especially since it's waterproof up to 10'

I've read about Dr. Otek and it seems like a great pp for under $50 but I feel like it lacks in depth. Especially after a yt review I saw.

The cheapest one that gets mentioned a lot is the GP2 from SHRXY ($30) I forgot the name but it's a newer version of a cheap one. Not sure of it's specs but I read some people use it.
Goes for around $30 and many say it's a great buy for the price.

The TRX ($149) I won't buy at the moment because White's ownership limbo.

A guy that did a ton of research went with the XP-Mi-4 ($119) but I haven't seen anyone else mention that PP.

The Fisher F-Pulse ($129) performs great but
I looked it up and don't like the fact that it's only waterproof up to 6'.
That's ridiculous when my Simplex+ is rated 10' and PP in the same price range are waterproof up to 3-6 meters.

Honestly speaking I probably would never go deeper than 3-4 feet but with rough waves that can easily double.
I wouldn't want a PP to crap out with water damage because I went over by a foot.

What are your thoughts.
I don't care for rechargeable or wireless pairing features. Nor where it's made since I contribute enough to the economy.
I'm more interested in it's performance.
I already experienced that my new detector goes deep, found some items almost 2' down. (Liquor caps and soda cans)
I will mainly be hunting on the beach sand, shallow ocean water and occasionally on grassy field's.

Plus my scoop can help get the object out of the sand, I just want a PP to speed things up and avoid the extra fatigue.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always went back to the Garrett, as with detectors, everybody has a model or brand they prefer, with pinpointers, I now stay with my tried and true Garretts.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love my Garrett carrot. I have a TRX and hate it. Very unstable.

The only issue I had with the carrot is the plastic seems soft, so if you like to "root around" in the hole with it, make sure you protect the tip somehow.

Good luck with your choice.

FAT SEXY

Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had just purchased the original Nokta straight off.. I love this pinpointer and I got it for $40 less than my Garrett carrot

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
The Garrett carrot is an improvement over the black one they had out, but that one was a solid pinpointer until it started falsing every time you turned it on. I have had the carrot for many years now, and so far so good. I haven't owned any of the others and I dont have to really, I am satisfied with it. The track record it has, you can't go wrong with it.

3Jacks

Nov 21, 2020
Weatherford,TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Ace 250, Whites XLT, MP-35 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Terry, but I too had ordered the Minelab 35, was really looking forward to it, and was not all that happy with it for a couple of reasons, I have it hanging up without a battery, and will use it for a loaner if need be.

Do you mind if I ask what it is you did not like about the MP-35? That's what I've been using as my first PP (came with a deal I got on my Nox) and want to know what to be on the lookout for. The only PP I have for comparison is the cheap GP Pointer and this it's been so much better than that. Maybe worth investing in something else (would like a backup better than the GP anyway).

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have carrots and have always used them but its not a labor of love. I've lost count of how many I've killed and maimed. Now I have two so one can be going in for repair and i'm not stuck waiting since I have a backup. I generally get near the warranty expiration with each. I started the summer with a warranty repaired one and a new replacement one. My primary one has started acting wacky so I'm on the backup already 6 months later. If you go over the warranty and its dead they do have a deal. I think they charged me $80-100 for a new replacement one when I turned in the corpse of my old one.
I like the pulse dive but definitely not as a standalone pin pointer. While the garrett points with the nose the nokta seems to point equally with the nose and sides which is confusing and frustrating when I am underwater holding my breath. I just finished year one with the nokta so its a bit early to say but it hasn't drowned yet. The primary way I kill the Garretts is the seal around the button loses its waterproofing ( small undetectable crack) and there she goes. Thats been the death of four or so and they haven't been out that long. Let me know when you find a decent one and I'll buy it. I also did wear right through the soft orange plastic tip of at least one carrot after grinding it in the oyster shells. I tape up, glue up or otherwise add plastic to the tips but to no avail.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the Garrett carrot for years with no trouble in/out of the water and recently purchased the Dr. Otek. Last summer took it down underwater to it's design limit 30'-32' with no issues.
I also like my scuba tector which I use if there's light vegetation or none on the lake bottom. It also works great on land and for tight spots like attics, ect.
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I delayed getting my first pinpointer for a long time but two years ago, bought the Deteknix/Quest X-pointer. I'm usually skeptical of new technology but love my orange X-pointer. And it was cheap at about $70. But it is not submersible, merely water-resistant. They have a new model that is submersible called the X-pointer Wader. As happy as I am with the older model, I would not hesitate to get the Wader, also about the same price which I consider a bargain.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mind if I ask what it is you did not like about the MP-35? That's what I've been using as my first PP (came with a deal I got on my Nox) and want to know what to be on the lookout for. The only PP I have for comparison is the cheap GP Pointer and this it's been so much better than that. Maybe worth investing in something else (would like a backup better than the GP anyway).

Sorry it took so long to reply, have not checked in for awhile. If all I had ever used was the 35, I'd say it was fine, but for the longest time I've been using the Garret's. The REASON I ordered the 35 was what it advertised a audio "Iron" indicator when pinpointing, what they did NOT say is that in only seems to kick in when it's about 1 or 2" from the target, well.....after getting down to make a hole, if I'm only a inch or two from the target, say it is in the side of the hole, I'm not going to stop because it say's "iron",I was disappointed in that and, I really need to look for the on/off button, kind of whiney I know, but with the Garrett I can feel the button. The plus side to the 35 is how easy it is to adjust the sensitivity, 1 thru 4 if I remember. All in all, it's an OK pinpointer, for me, I like the Garrett, I have two black and two orange.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I delayed getting my first pinpointer for a long time but two years ago, bought the Deteknix/Quest X-pointer. I'm usually skeptical of new technology but love my orange X-pointer. And it was cheap at about $70. But it is not submersible, merely water-resistant. They have a new model that is submersible called the X-pointer Wader. As happy as I am with the older model, I would not hesitate to get the Wader, also about the same price which I consider a bargain.
I bought one of these after finally giving up on the older Garretts. I have had this one for years & it has never failed.

Germanrazor

Jan 7, 2021
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+,
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite of all time has been the Nokta Makro with the orange cap and orange covers with grey body. Excellent and always worked 100% of the time. Waterproof to 3’ as you stated but I don’t hunt completely submersed so not a issue.

Right now I have the Nokta PulseDive which is a large PP. My only dislike is the fact it never gets a solid audible tone when in contact with the object. It has a rapid audible that never breaks to a solid tone. But the sucker is waterproof to 200’ claimed.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did a Great job on this "Down To Earth" Report, I appreciate it, Welcome to TN, first night I have been around in a year, so Good timing,lol

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought about what Megalodon said about the Deteknix pointer, and have read up on the Detecknix X power wader. Comes in two styles I believe, one is rechargeable, and the other is "Dual Power", meaning it will take 9 volt OR AA. It's a PI pointer at 95 KHZ, which I may have a special use for, the carrott is at 11 Khz I think. Now, I do NOT need another pin pointer, having two Garrett black & two Garrett orange and a Minelab 35. But well....sometimes you just want to buy something new in detecting, guess it's kind of like being a 12 yr in a 68yr old body, anyway, I may buy it because I can?....It sounds good.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
Quest x pro pulse,rechargeable batt, waterproof to 200 ft.,3 levels of sensitivity,never falses,my fisher pulse is now my backup. this pp is excellent and same price as the carrot

Texas T

Jul 4, 2016
Sun Lakes / Show Low, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed there was no mention of the Vibra-Probe 585. I have the 460 model and used it for years and then got out of the hobby for the past few years. I tried using the 460 this morning and it was dead (no terminal corrosion, no cut/frayed wires, etc). To my knowledge these can't be repaired so I was looking at the 585 as a possible replacement, but the Garrett carrot seems to be pretty high on a lot of people's minds.

With that said, any feedback on the 585?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions