Ground balance?

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going through a few older threads and saw one that mentioned ground balancing pinpointers by turning them on after the tip is in the dirt. Is there any value to that? Is that a wet sand technique or does it apply to dry dirt as well? My pinpointer is the Nokta Macro waterproof pointer.

Your thoughts appreciated!

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going through a few older threads and saw one that mentioned ground balancing pinpointers by turning them on after the tip is in the dirt. Is there any value to that? Is that a wet sand technique or does it apply to dry dirt as well? My pinpointer is the Nokta Macro waterproof pointer.

Your thoughts appreciated!

That is a very good question. Remember reading something about that , but not much more. My latest pointer is the " Garrett ( carrot ) . and it might of came to my attention, that was who mentioned something about g/balancing.? I know, I probably never turned it on when it was already in the dirt. !!https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...round+balancing+pinpointer+youtube&fr=yfp-t-s
too

Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the ground? And how do you do it on an Equinox 600?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one place I dig the soil has a ton of iron naturally occurring in the soil. I use this method to balance the Garrett pinpointer whenever I am there. Otherwise, the soil can trigger the pinpointer to go off.

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had that problem, I usually just turn down the sensitivity. I’ll have to try turning it on with the tip of the pointer in the dirt and see if it helps.
On one place I dig the soil has a ton of iron naturally occurring in the soil. I use this method to balance the Garrett pinpointer whenever I am there. Otherwise, the soil can trigger the pinpointer to go off.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that a ferrite ring works for metal detector ground balancing when you can't traditionally balance over the ground, but I havn't heard of anyone using one for a pinpointer.
I think Minelab sold them.
Welcome!
Jon 8-):cat::occasion14::headbang:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you hold a pinpointer tip to the ground and turn it on the pinpointer sees the ground signal and adjusts the threshold level(s) accordingly. So what you are really doing is desensitizing the unit. Often it doesn't take a whole lot so the actual sensitivity reduction is fairly minor. An exception to this is the White's TRX which has a true ground balance phase adjust. Not sure if any other recent VLF pinpointer (XP, Minelab) can do that.

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a Fisher F-pulse PP and it will tend to chatter when I first start using it. I simply touch the point on the ground and turn it off, then on. Sometimes have to do it twice...but it does eliminate the chatter and then it does ITS job.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the ground? And how do you do it on an Equinox 600?
You are asking about a metal detector this thread is refering to the hand held pin pointers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread