Help! Garett Pro Pointer buzzing like crazy.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Garett Pro Pointer for about a year. It worked great until today, when it suddenly started having problems. Now every time I turn the carrot on it starts buzzing constantly, even if there's no metal nearby.

I've tried a couple of things so far, to no success:
1. Tried replacing the battery with a new one.
2. Tried putting a quarter in between the battery and cap to "push the connection together", no cigar.

Anything else I can try to fix this? Thanks yall.

Drew61

Feb 23, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late to your post but mine started doing the same thing on occasion, try hitting the button again. I learned this on Gigmaster and it works, it resets it apparently. Best of luck!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with my Pro Pointer. Had to send it back to Garrett, and they updated the electronics in it. They were very helpful and had a real quick turn around (last year). I think it cost me around $ 40.00. I still use the Pro Pointer attached to one detector, and the Carrot attached to my other detector. Like them both.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem within a year of purchase. I cleaned the tip off and found I had worn through the plastic and actually had a hole in the tip allowing dirt (moisture) to contact the internal parts.
This is my first ever pin pointer and I have probably used the pointer to probe my plugs rougher than it was designed for. I also recently began detecting and probing in stream beds (sand and rocks) which probably accelerated the wear. Never thought the tip would wear through so quickly but again never had any experience with any others.
I contacted Garret and was provided a RMA# to send it back for repair under warranty which I feel is exemplary customer service. Will be exploring for a way to protect the tip going forward.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late to your post but mine started doing the same thing on occasion, try hitting the button again. I learned this on Gigmaster and it works, it resets it apparently. Best of luck!
Mine also, then the vibration quit, and the sound, then would not turn off, then it might, etc. etc. Crazy. It has been doing that for awhile, detect a target, and not stop the noise, just kept going until turning it off then on again. Next target, repeat the process. I may not send this back, 3 1/2yrs. old. Repair cost, shipping, may just order another one. Just do not know how happy others are with a different brand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread