Jean LaFitte (Pirate), & the BEALE TREASURE... post-War of 1812.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Re: Jean LaFitte (Pirate), & the BEALE TREASURE... post-War of 1812.

Fun indeed, but fruitless, Jean Lafitte was based out of the New Orleans area, did a lot of runs around Cuba and other islands of that region, I have not heard of any pirating activities on his part in any part of the Eastern Seaboard. Try Blackbeard or any others that had actual hideouts/homes/taverns along the east coast.

DirtMan1

Jul 30, 2010

Yes a French Pirate out of the Caribbean

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s

Rebel - KGC said:
;D ANYBODY have info on Jean LaFitte as TJ BEALE/BEALL... burying TREASURE in Bedford County, Va. (via BIG MUDDY, & James River in Virginia)? A FUN theory! :icon_study: :wink:

Try this resource here, it pretty much tells all about the man. I've read and own a copy myself, but then again he was OUR local pirate here in Galveston.
http://www.amazon.com/Lafitte-Pirate-Lyle-Saxon/dp/0882893955

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, and The Pirate Lafitte, by Robert Tallant.

It's kind of dry, but well researched.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:icon_thumleft: :coffee2: ;D OK... TY, folks! :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D :read2:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :D 58 degrees, later today! In THE BEALE TREASURE: New History of a Mystery by Peter Viemeister, Chapt. 12, Lafitte & Jackson; pg. 107-111, indicate that it was POSSIBLE that after the War of 1812, the Lafitte Bros. "disappeared" up the "Old Muddy", came "in-land' via the James River & buried SOME of their "pirate loot" from SPANISH "plunder". Gen. Andy Jackson DID come to Lynchburg, Va. (on his way to DC), and Thomas. J. Beale was described as being a dark, swarthy , handsome man in the BEALE PAPERS; And!
ALL the ladies loved him. HA! :D :wink: ANYWAY... there are FRENCH phases in the letters to Robert MORRISS by Thom. J. Beale, that caused "interest" from "investigators", and "locals" of Bedford County, Va. Was just wondering if OTHERS knew of anything. :dontknow:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D BRRR! Hope ol hunter comes by and "chat" about Jean Lafitte & St. Loo; think it MAY be connected to Beale Treasure in Virginia. St. Louis, MO up "Old Muddy" was rumored to be a "source of interest". AH HOY, MATES! :wink:

ol hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2011

:hello2:rgc i dont know if you have heard of trammels trace. this was a freighters route i have a aerial photo that was dowsed by mr. collins and i also 30 years ago when i was alot younger i could feel the heat of gold with my hand . it does take time to learn you have this in you some do . i would like to see if these map dowsers on this site would be interested in seeing if the 2 of us was right? this is in texas . it has 3 different trys at it one has a 8 foot pipe vertical was in wrong place . one person in the steam pump days put barges in slew tried to pump it dry with no success. another drilled holes for it i knew the property owner at that time he told me he had to take a gun and run them off. as far as know that has been the last search for these 5 wagon or cart of gold and or silver. i am 66 i dont b.s. and prefer not to get any either. i would like to look at this again if i can see who ownes it again its been 30 years maybe ill slow down a little now i would like to hear from anyone that has anything on this. thanks j.l.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010

Aahoy Maties, I feel that Lafitte had too much salt air up his nostrels to be that far inland at St Lou. Where you gonna find any good ditch bugs up there. Lafitte had high water marks on his legs and knew how to put it in reverse just like the crawfish.

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D WONDERFUL BLOOMIN' HOT ALE! :wink: Jean MAY have been staying down "TX way"; his bro. Pierre was "in-country", meeting ppl in DC; Baltimore, MD; Richmond, Va.; so MAYBE, it was PIERRE, dunno. :dontknow: :coffee2: :read2: (Reading THE PIRATES LAFITTE: Treacherous World of the Corsairs of the Gulf). :icon_thumleft: ;D :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: AYE! Ale? ;D

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D ANOTHER cuppa of BLOOMIN' HOT ALE! Doing R & I (Research & Investigation) on Trammel's Trace; started in 1813 coming from TX, so it IS possible that Jean DID use it, after the War of 1812. It eventually connected with St. Loo via "Old Muddy". MY thought is BOTH Jean & Pierre DID go to St. Loo; AND! Possibly went "in-land" back to Kentucky, etc. Going down (SOUTH) the James River to Bedford County; Lynchburg, Va. MAY have even "hooked up" ( :D :wink:) with Andy Jackson (hero of New Orleans) in Lynchburg, Va. I think Bro Andy (FreeMason) was going to see Prez James Madison about a pardon for the Lafitte Bros, since they helped defeat the Brits in N.O., La. :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :read2: MORE Ale? AYE! :D :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D HOT CIDER, WASSAIL! :wink: R & I; THE BEALE TREASURE: New History of a Mystery
by Peter Viemeister, pg 108-110... "....on February 6th, 1815, President James Madison issued a public proclamation
of pardon for ALL the Baratarians, including the Laffittes." LATER... "But, Jean Lafitte was wily and resilient.... There were rumors that he had relocated on the MAINLAND..." (p. 110). Capt. Thomas Beale (Sr) was in charge of Beale's
Rifles, that Gen. Andy (Jackson) depended on to defend New Orleans; and Capt. Beale was from VIRGINIA. It is speculated that his son... also named Thomas Beale, was in charge of helping the Lafittes bury "loot" in diverse places, Kentucky & Virginia. :o :coffee2: DANG! THIS stuff is GOOD! :wink: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: ;D ARF! :laughing9:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D still doing R & I on this; "google"... "Jean Lafitte, Privateer, and the Beale Treasure" ;D
THEN... "The Fifth Generation by Brad Andrews" :wink: INTERESTING STUFF! :icon_thumleft: :hello2: :hello2:

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:hello: AHOY, MATIES! :icon_pirat:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: "Privateer"....HUGE difference between a pirate and a privateer. Comparing a pirate to a privateer is like comparing a random burglery to a navel/military seizer. The first is working strictly for himself beyond the limits of the effective laws. The later has legal paperwork/documentation that allows him to act with consent , and often on full behalf of, a represented government. :thumbsup: Laffite was a, "privateer". :thumbsup:

ol hunter

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2011

hello rebel-kgc i keep reading about old muddy how is this tied to trammels trace . through n.e. texas i hope this reply gets posted

ol hunter

OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Ol Hunter; R & I, 2012 indicate that Jean Lafitte & "crew" of PRIVATEERS resided on the Bolivar Peninsula (TX) and PROBABLY used Trammel's Trace (OLD "Indian" Path/Trail) to get to "Old Muddy"; going up to St. Loo, MO... from there? :dontknow: :read2: :wink: INFO: Trammel's Trace; "Google" Trammel's Trace - The Handbook of Texas Online :wink: Bolivar Peninsula; Bolivar Peninsula - The Handbook of Texas Online. :wink: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
(WINK) THIS is interesting... FINDING LAFITTE'S FORTUNE: THE BEALE TREASURE by A. Nonymous in LOST TREASURE magazine, July, 2012. HA! (SHADES ON...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread