Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need Held I.D.'ing pottery strawberry planter

That is a piece of Seagrove, NC area pottery. Most likely made by the J. B.Cole Pottery. Cole Pottery was started by J. B. Cole in the late 1800's and his descendants are still running it. There were several Cole's making pottery but your pot looks like the bottom has been sanded on a belt sander. J.B. Cole Pottery is the only one that did that.

It is typical tourist wear that was made for the folks driving through this area on the way North in the summer and South in the winter. I would guess that it would date from the 1950's or early 1960's. Round about the late 1960's Cole pottery started putting their stamp on the bottom of stuff like that.

OP
OP
tokenhead

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need Held I.D.'ing pottery strawberry planter

Mac In Oak Ridge said:
That is a piece of Seagrove, NC area pottery. Most likely made by the J. B.Cole Pottery. Cole Pottery was started by J. B. Cole in the late 1800's and his descendants are still running it. There were several Cole's making pottery but your pot looks like the bottom has been sanded on a belt sander. J.B. Cole Pottery is the only one that did that.

It is typical tourist wear that was made for the folks driving through this area on the way North in the summer and South in the winter. I would guess that it would date from the 1950's or early 1960's. Round about the late 1960's Cole pottery started putting their stamp on the bottom of stuff like that.
Nice!!! thank you...thats why i said looks like ohio pottery because i've seen similar pottery before,i've sold COLE w/mark before thats why it looked familiar,also sold SHEARWATER&other southern pottery,Again THANKS FOR INFO!,now i can check southern pottery book/other!

nelsongrigg

Sep 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of owens pottery wasn't marked or marked with USA ,,,,, also seagrove

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread