can somebody please help to identify this VOC bottle?

nobody66

Greenie
Oct 8, 2009
Hi everyone!

Can someone please help me to tell me something about
this bottle I recently found?
Put this out in "what is this?" before, but try it in this topic
also.

I will be interested in any ideas of how old it is, where it
comes from or what it can be worth?

I also hope it's real and not a fake...be glad if you give me
your guess with motivation on that :-)

Even though I don't know nothing about bottles yet, I do know
that I like this one :-)

Thank you so much in advance!
Pia

Attachments

• IMG_0.jpg
    IMG_0.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0.jpg
    IMG_0.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_6.jpg
    IMG_6.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 494

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Looks like a Wine or Milk Jug, but I can not find anything like yours online. I'll keep looking though.
IF this is an original V.O.C. it could be worth a lot of money. I'm betting on it's a reproduction, but you never know.

This site might be of some help
http://gotheborg.com/
There is also a discussion board
http://www.gotheborg.com/~gothebor/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Wikipedia - Dutch East India Company
Shows the trade mark letters on other items. The letter “O” and “C” do not overlap but I don’t know if that means anything or determines if it’s real or reproduced.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company

Imari porcelain
e0741de1.jpg

In the 17th and 18th centuries, Japanese porcelain was popular in Europe for its whiteness and unique designs. The Dutch East India Company submitted orders to Japanese potters for porcelain that suited European tastes. Many of these bore the company’s “VOC” logo. Some of the pieces of Old Imari Ware and Kakiemon exported from Dejima are now prized exhibits in European museums.

The VOC actually stands for the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie or The United East India Company. It was founded March 20, 1602 as a result of the joining of forces of several small Dutch trading companies, all having the common goal of increasing trade with the East Indies. The Dutch had first arrived in Asia in 1596, and persisted for several years as independent traders, making a small profit, but with a loss of up to two thirds of their ship's crew each round trip.
Many of the ships of the VOC were wrecked, in sites ranging from the North Sea to the very harbor of Batavia (Jakarta). A rich heritage of artifacts has been recovered from them, including porcelain and China, pepper and spices, indigo and dies, wood, cooking vessels, armaments and shipboard equipment. Very few of the porcelain pieces in the use of the VOC were ever marked and fakes with the VOC mark added to heighten interest, abounds today. Everything from clumsy South East Asian pieces that would not fool anyone except the most optimistic bargain hunters, to real good pieces, mostly looking as if they were Japanese

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions