Crude earthenware bowl found

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Hi-

I bought this wide, shallow earthenware bowl at a Goodwill clearance outlet. It was just about to be disposed of because no one had an interest in it. It is a crude, handmade bowl and appears to be rather old.

The interior of the bowl is slightly worn but in overall good shape. There is some slight wearing or rubbing along the upper ridge of the bowl that I think was the result of it being dumped at the bottom of the Goodwill garbage bin.

It is approx. 10 1/2 inch diameter and 3 inch in depth. The thickness of the walls are somewhat irregular and yet the bowl is perfectly balanced. It does not tilt one direction or the other. The base is simply smooth and curved.

No chips or cracks.
The paste is a pinkish/beige.
The exterior is unglazed and unpolished.
No decorations or markings. It is simply crude.
The external finish /coloring is predominately brown but it also has imbedded green / black coloring as well as some deep rusty orange.

I don't know anything about it so I'd love some feedback and input. Thanks.

Attachments

• bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 403
  • bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 406
  • bowlext.jpg
    bowlext.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 406
  • bowlextsurface.jpg
    bowlextsurface.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 421

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Looks to be a native american soapstone piece. I have found fragments of these in the fields of Northeast Georgia. Certainly interesting!

Gunner

OP
OP
siz3petite

siz3petite

Apr 10, 2006
Southwest Sunny Florida
Do these two bowls look similar? Input welcome.

After some research, I'm updating.... Is this terra cotta bowl similar to the Met Museum item The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Bowl ?? :icon_scratch: Period: First Persian Period–Late Period Dynasty: Dynasty 27–30 Date: 525–332 B.C. Accession Number: 26.7.990 Your input is welcome. thx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread