Earthenware Pitcher, ID and Value?

kyonasaskia

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasure3.JPG treasure4.JPG

I had posted this in the incorrect forum, so here's another try:
This was a yard sale find. As you can see, there is no marking on the bottom, and a huge amount of crazing all over. Does anyone have any ideas as to what year this is? Also, do you think it was American made? I was told late 19th century, either American or English, but how would someone know this without any sort of marking? The blue looks like transfer, and not hand painted, but the gold looks hand painted.
Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks. Additionally, is this a $10 find, or is it more, simply because it is old...?

suvoth

Aug 22, 2012
Fredericton
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you certain it's not marked? I mean, I realize you can't see anything (nor can I) but sometimes it's indented in so lightly it's hard to read. Have you tried scanning the bottom of it? Try tilting to different angles as well? How's the inside bottom look?

OP
OP
K

kyonasaskia

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sevoth. Thanks for your help. I got out my jewelers magnifier light thingie, and couldn't find any marks of any kind. No indentations of any sort. Thanks for the idea, as I even scanned it, but still, nothing to be seen. I'm afraid this one is a mystery...
bottomPitcher.jpg

OP
OP
K

kyonasaskia

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the inside bottom has sort of a bulbous area, as if there's more clay in that section. It's in the middle, but is not so perfectly centered or perfectly formed that it looks machine made.
bottomInner.JPG

Attachments

• aBirdBox3.JPG
    aBirdBox3.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kyonasaskia

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. Accidentally uploaded a pic of a different, soon-to-be-yard sale-d item, and can't seem to get rid of it.

suvoth

Aug 22, 2012
Fredericton
Primary Interest:
Other
Darn, well, I was hopeful. Without actually studying this particular maker with some experience, it's going to be nearly impossible to say who made it. It's a lovely piece though and definitely a keeper. I definitely say it's 100 years old at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread