Japanese theepot. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

roma01

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to know more about this teapot. Have tried finding (free) sites on the web to help me, but cannot find anything.
Maybe some-one can help me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.
There is also a matching cup (handle is broken) and another cup in the same style but not belonging as a set

Thank you.

DSC00282.JPG DSC00283.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, again, Roma,

I don't believe it's Japanese. I do think it Chinese, made for export to Great Britain. The mark, rather than a maker's mark, looks to me to be an incomplete or haphazardly done British registration diamond.

Are there any marks on the cups?

diamond_a.jpg
Pottery -* Registration numbers and diamond

OP
OP
R

roma01

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00287.JPG DSC00288.JPG

Well thank you for that.
Here is a photo of the cup. Looks like they are 'seconds' then? (not sure of the correct english word but products that have not turned out how they should have?)

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like they are 'seconds' then? (not sure of the correct english word but products that have not turned out how they should have?)

Hey Roma,

I wasn't implying that. You're talking China in the Victorian era. What did the average Chinese potter know from registration diamonds. The teapot looks very nice, and seems to be in great condition.

I may be wrong about the mark, the above is just my impression. I don't recognize the pattern.

296.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread