Is anybody good with authenticating Limoges porcelain?

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I acquired this Limoges charger plate and now that I have it in hand, I'm starting to think it's not the real deal. Here's why:

- Some of the white areas seem to have been touched up at some point (hard to tell in the photos but when I shine a flashlight it's obvious)
Examples: The ladies bonnet & the front of her stockings, his belt buckle and neck area and then some white dots around the scene
- The makers mark is not below the glaze (when I take my fingernail over the mark I can tell it is not below the glaze)
- Also when I use a loop it seems like some areas are pixilated (there are some areas with dots but then others areas do not have any)

This is just some of the items I can see and I am no expert by any means. Is there anything else which could help me identify whether or not this is fake or perhaps it is real and was just touched up some time ago?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Upper.jpg
    Upper.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Lower.jpg
    Lower.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Signature.jpg
    Signature.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Mark.jpg
    Mark.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen that particular mark but in regards to Limoges marks, LRL stands for Lazeyras, Rosenfeld and Lehman - Limoges, France. Good luck!

Tran555

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen that particular mark but in regards to Limoges marks, LRL stands for Lazeyras, Rosenfeld and Lehman - Limoges, France. Good luck!

A bit of a late reply, but I have seen that mark used by LRL before (not sure of the dates) and it seems the artist has signed other porcelain, including Bavarian.
It's likely an American porcelain painter who worked on many different brands imported by the likes of Ovington Bros, Haviland etc.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184339791808?ul_noapp=true

Tran555

Jul 6, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A bit of a late reply, but I have seen that mark used by LRL before (not sure of the dates) and it seems the artist has signed other porcelain, including Bavarian.
It's likely an American porcelain painter who worked on many different brands imported by the likes of Ovington Bros, Haviland etc.

Actually, I see now that the signatures are not spelled the same; my mistake. I do know the mark is authentic for LRL, and that Limoges pieces with the manufacturer's
stamp are not often imitated, so my hunch is that it is authentic but you may be right that it has had some significant restoration.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/184339791808?ul_noapp=true

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread