2 Cherubs N under crown and signed

snoozerpm

Apr 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone identify these cherubs I think they are modern I cannot make the name out can anyone please help they are also 12 Inches in height.
Thank You
mark.jpg wp_20160401_18_41_11_pro.jpg wp_20160401_18_42_11_pro.jpg

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
This is the Capodimonte ,mark,there is a lot of info on the net about this mark.

Regards Freddo.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but this is not ā€˜Capodimonteā€™ (ā€˜Capo di Monteā€™) porcelain in the true sense. The original Italian factory in Naples (Real Fabbrica di Capodimonte) closed in 1759 and moved lock, stock and barrel to Madrid in Spain, becoming ā€˜Real FĆ”brica del Buen Retiroā€™.

Thereafter, and especially from the 1820s, the Capodimonte tradition was revived in Italy by numerous factories in and around Naples, re-creating the original designs, generating new designs, and using variations of the Neapolitan crowned ā€˜Nā€™ as their mark. Strictly speaking, this is ā€˜Naples porcelainā€™, although its commonly referred to as ā€˜Capodimonteā€™ in the sense of the paste type for the porcelain and the way in which it was fired.

Later still, factories outside the region also produced what they called ā€˜Capodimonteā€™ porcelain using variations on the crowned ā€˜Nā€™ mark. Your cherubs are from such a producerā€¦ S.V. Porcelains of Bassano del Grappa near Venice (but nowhere near Naples). The factory was established in 1980 by Vittorio Sabadin, and thatā€™s his signature on your cherubs. To quote their own website: ā€œOur figures are made in original porcelain of Capodimonte, and all the items are hand made and hand painted by specialized workers, supervised in each phase by Sabadin Vittorio himselfā€¦ Guaranteed authentic porcelain since 1980ā€.

Last edited:

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red -Coat
Many thanks for your reply to my comment,since I was the only reply in 4years I feel I should be given some sort of credit ("Our figures are made in original porcelain of
CAPODIMONTE") it seems I was in the ball park and on the mark.

Your reply is very good and informative,these are the sort of answers that are good for these sites,good knowledgeable information.

I have some figures with the crowned N mark that are probably in the same category ,Made some where in Italy.

I would be interested to know ,If you may know the companyor have images of these marks? I have posted images. 2020-08-17 19.51.56.jpg 2020-08-17 19.49.40.jpg 2020-08-17 19.50.05.jpg 2020-08-17 19.50.34.jpg 2020-08-17 19.51.10.jpg

Regards Freddo

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Freddo

I didn't notice that you were responding to an unanswered post that was four years old! 'In the ballpark', yes.

Your cherubs have a generic crowned N mark of the kind used by multiple factories, in a style that generally dates between about 1925-1967. The pieces could be from anywhere in Italy, or even imported copies from Japan or China since the mark has no protection and was used outside Italy. They may or may not be Capodimonte-type porcelain paste fired in the traditional manner, but I would think probably not. The crispness of detailing on the faces/hair and flowers is completely lacking.

If from a producer of note, there would be an identifying factory mark, or they would be signed. Oriental copies sometimes had a foil label with additional information that helps attribute them, but it often gets peeled off. Without either a factory or artist mark and with no label, itā€™s not usually possible to reliably identify such pieces but I would say that theyā€™re of low quality, no older than ā€˜vintageā€™, and perhaps not Italian. For sure not what you were hoping to hear, but that would be my honest opinion.

Regards
Roger

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Roger
Many thanks for your information about my cherubs.you may be correct, but my feeling is that they are Italian made and not Asian ones.The feel and finish ,weight when held,do not give me the feeling that they are not Italian,I may be wrong,It does not really matter to me they are not my most prized possessions.

This may be interesting for you ,this mark is often mistaken for a Capodimote,you may know the mark ,I will post the answer next post.

Also I see you are from Surrey ,You may like to see a Martin Brothers Double side face jug that I have (much better Quality that the Cherubs,I hope)

Regards Freddo. 2020-08-17 21.24.22.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be interesting for you ,this mark is often mistaken for a Capodimote,you may know the mark ,I will post the answer next post.

View attachment 1862232

Well, I'd want to see the whole piece rather than just the base, but that looks like it might be a Sandizell (Bavaria) 'Dresden' mark from the mid to late 1900s.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ernst bohne shone.

95206766-afe1-4701-afb0-cb705abd62a2.jpg

Last edited:

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello AARC
You are correct, It is him.
Well done Roger you were there about ,I did not post the figure ,to make it a bit more difficult.
This is the Figure. 2020-08-17 21.23.18.jpg 2020-08-17 21.23.34.jpg 2020-08-17 21.24.05.jpg
Regards Freddo.

I will post the Martin Brothers Jug in a new post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread