N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
My thoughts:
Is the perferated image actually a stamp--like a postage stamp?
The flag with a circle reminds me of the flag of Japan.
The crescent moon with star is an Islamic symbol.
Don.......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post and the OP is likely long gone but I was browsing around and the ID may help someone in future.

The mark is that of A.A. Vantine & Company. Ashley A. Vantine (sometimes written as Van Tine) came to New York in 1860 and established himself as an importer of Oriental goods.

The business grew out of Yokohama in Japan as its supply base and ultimately had its own factories in both Yokohama and Nagoya, as well as expanding its sourcing to other countries. The crossed Imperial Chinese and Japanese flags with the Turkish crescent moon and star are a reflection of the trading relationships with those three countries. That particular mark within a perforated stamp dates from c1910 through to the 1920s.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Redcoat... you are our cold case sleuth and we all appreciate that, thank you.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm still with you Red Coat !!
Around the 1840s Ashley A. Vantine (sometimes Van Tine) started a provision and supply business in San Francisco. He continued in California until 1869, when he came to New-York and established himself in the Oriental goods business, opening his first shop for oriental wares in New York in 1869 on Broadway, near Eighth-street. A few years later he moved to 831 Broadway, and from there, in 1883, to 879 Broadway. Mr. Vantine traveled a great deal, particularly to China and Japan, crossing the Pacific sixteen times and made six visits to Turkey and Southern Russia. The company seems to have began their business in Yokohama, Japan, already in 1865 for the purpose of manufacturing wares for export to the West. The business seems to have shut down around 1951.
Source:
Japanese Porcelain Marks
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions