German ,Busts, what age?

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Members

These busts ,are probably copies of Meissen heads, very heavy ,nice quality,impressed probably model numbers one 285,one 271.Numbers inside very hard to photograph .No other marks. IMG_5092.JPG IMG_5087.JPG IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5093.JPG IMG_5094.JPG

Any opinion on age? look to be German.

Regards Freddo.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to log into liveauctioneers.com and see what the set of four sold for when you click on the link I sent.

Here's the description...

Late 19th century, German, set of 4 porcelain busts of children by Samson Porcelain factory.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The estimated value was $500 to $1000. The set of four sold for $300.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the problem here is that these are copies of Meissen pieces and a number of factories made such pieces at different times… both in Germany and elsewhere. The producer may or may not have been Samson but, unless marked, they’re usually just attributed as “German School”.

The one on the left I recognise. It’s copied from Meissen’s “Head of Bacchus as a Child”, design number K177. Bacchus was the Roman god of wine (hence the grapes in the hair and vine leaves around the chest). The other will likely have similar Roman god inspirations but I haven’t gone looking for the pattern since it will also be a copy.

Here’s an original Meissen 'Bacchus' piece from circa 1880, on which the first copy was based:

Meissen.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Again

Many thanks to you and SD,it looks like they may be Samson,although they have not the blue mark,they look very close to their figures.It is amazing that the four sold for such a cheap price,

It is always amazing to me the prices some times paid for mediocre things eg Clarrice Cliff, Moocroft (they made some good things)
I suppose it is a matter of taste and fashion.

Regards Freddo.

OP
OP
F

freddo

Sep 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks great work SD51

Looks like you are on the mark, I feel they are nice quality,the four that sold I feel went for a bargain,it is always good when you can get nice things ,cheap.

Regards Freddo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread