gravy boat 4.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 56

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your sauce boat is by (or rather, from) the Salem China Company of Salem, OH founded in 1898 but itā€™s a much later piece. They became a major manufacturer and distributor of dinnerware during the 1900s, but by 1960 were a distributor only. Some sources say they still had manufacturing capability as late as 1967. Their products (made in the millions) were sold direct to the public and widely available in department stores and supermarkets.

That particular pattern was, I think, first introduced in 1949 and originally sold with Salemā€™s name on it as ā€œCenturyā€. Later (and I think after they became a distributor only) it no longer carried the Salem name and was sold as ā€œSheffieldā€ with the ā€˜Sā€™ in shield mark. I think your piece dates to around the 1970s. Also, from the 1930s through the 1950s, Salem pieces can usually be dated from stamping into the base of the china itself. They used a series of numbers for the year and a number of stars indicating the quarter of the year. Unless you can see any embossed stamps, unstamped pieces are also likely not earlier than the 1960s.

The ā€œ23 karat goldā€ indication is just marketing hype to suggest itā€™s ā€˜top of the rangeā€™ decoration but doesnā€™t particularly add to the value. Usually, you can pick up individual pieces in this pattern for anything between $5-$20 depending on size. Perhaps a little more for a sauce boat with its stand-plate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread