I just got an electronic gold tester...ready for the good and bad news?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a GT3000 gold tester
G56-0976.jpg

I have over two boxes (the size you get your bank checks in) of things that I think are silver but are not stamped. I bought them at yard sales over the last several months. I paid as little as possible because they were not stamped. But I just had a feeling.

>:( Well the bad news first. I checked all my gold purchases and most test out at about 2kt less than what is stamped on the piece. My gold stash is probably worth $100 less than I thought. (one ID bracelet is stamped 14kt, the flat engraved part is 14kt but the chain is 12kt, can't trust anybody any more, not even jewelers)

;D Now the good news. I tested about 95% of only one box of questionable silver last night and most was silver. :thumbsup: I now have 255gr more than I thought I had. About 10% of the box checked out as JUNK. I still have the other box to go. :D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan

It being new, have you backed up the results
with another machine or with chemicals.
Always a good idea with a new tester. :wink:

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
cyberdan said:
I got a GT3000 gold tester
G56-0976.jpg

I have over two boxes (the size you get your bank checks in) of things that I think are silver but are not stamped. I bought them at yard sales over the last several months. I paid as little as possible because they were not stamped. But I just had a feeling.

>:( Well the bad news first. I checked all my gold purchases and most test out at about 2kt less than what is stamped on the piece. My gold stash is probably worth $100 less than I thought. (one ID bracelet is stamped 14kt, the flat engraved part is 14kt but the chain is 12kt, can't trust anybody any more, not even jewelers)

;D Now the good news. I tested about 95% of only one box of questionable silver last night and most was silver. :thumbsup: I now have 255gr more than I thought I had. About 10% of the box checked out as JUNK. I still have the other box to go. :D

Hopefully your testing device is wrong on the gold and your pieces are the karats stamped on them.

This is why I only buy bullion or gold coins of known origin. Gold is too expensive to take chances on. I guess if you can buy it super cheap it is worth the gamble.

Jim

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Hopefully your testing device is wrong on the gold and your pieces are the karats stamped on them.
Oh, I didn't lose any money on them. :D They are just not worth as much as I thought.
Just have to wait for gold to go up some more.
These charts should be up to date.
tny_au_en_usoz_2.gif

t24_ag_en_usoz_2.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread