is there a way to recover silver plate?

Gettintoknowsomethin

Feb 15, 2009
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I am sure there is but the question is....is it worth the effort? you would need a whole lot of silver plated stuff to get any silver to sell. Silver is cheep these days and just buying pure silver bars is the way to go!. I think you could get more money just selling the plated items as is.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I don't think the coin stores around here will touch the stuff. I imagine the amount of silver weight in plated stuff is very low compared to the total weight of the item.

Maybe if silver was 500 dollars an ounce or more there would be some demand???

Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
markmopar said:
I've been coming across a LOT of silver plated stuff lately. Is there a way to refine it back to solid?
Yes, very little silver is on each piece. You can recover the silver with a reverse plating operation. Just like you can recover silver from old film developing chemicals and old film. I am sure a google search will tell all. But the cost of the plated junk will be higher than the silver recovered. The only way for it to work is get the plated junk for free and do a lot of un-plating.

Follow this link: http://www.goldplatinumtutor.com/origppress/bkrvu.htm
I own a small book called Thrift Store Prospecting. It gets technical in places but is filled with good ideas on precious metals collecting. Here is a review. I reccommend reading the book, there is a lot more out there than plated forks and spoons.

dan

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see this has died for a while. I have a bunch of franklin mint silver plated pieces, what would be the way to recover the silver. I'm not worried about the value of the coinlooking things.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
I have a bunch of franklin mint silver plated pieces, what would be the way to recover the silver.
See my post right above yours. You might be lucky to get 2¢ worth of silver from each "coin" You would get more just by selling the coin on ebay for $1 a set. To show you how little silver is worth a kids sterling ring might have $1 worth of silver in it. But it all adds up, this weekend I paid around $8 for about 90 grams of silver jewelry.

One was a 29 gram sterling bracelet that was "free". The lady wanted $50 for two pieces of gold jewelry ($35 + $15) I weighed both and made an offer of $30 for both. She wanted more ($35) I didn't want to go higher, so I said OK on $35 if she had any junk silver she would throw in. She was happy with that and I got about $65 worth of gold & silver for $35

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread