Where does one buy Silver or Gold

Glsfutrs

Mar 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/Di
Start by checking out your local coin shops.
There is also a slew of connections on the internet.
Look up Jason Hommel for 1.
Also try ebay for silver bidding -

Regardless of any direction always check on the spot price and let whoever know that you are aware of it where ever purchasing.

This will help to keep them honest most of the time.

Good Luck.

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Two of the best places to buy precious metals are Apmex (American Precious Metals Exchange) and the Tulving Co. in California. They have some of the lowest premiums over spot of anyone I know. As to coins or bars, that is a personal preference.

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
I buy all mine from AMPEX however, you worry me! someone told me once that when you hear your door man or Produce man talking about buying gold ITS TIME TO SELL! please let me know the moment you buy any gold or silver! thanks LOL Metal Bid Ask
Gold $1,069.40 $1,070.40 5.40
Silver $18.05 $18.10 0.25
Platinum $1,359.50 $1,369.50 9.80
Palladium $329.20 $334.20 3.40

Updated:10/14/2009 3:03:13 AM CST

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We get ours from different places - not too many coin shops around here are reasonable though.

We do buy some direct, we have some favorite places.

http://www.bulliondirect.com

is one of the better ones, imo. They have both bullion and coins, and their prices are mostly VERY little over spot. They have gold, silver, platinum, 40% coins and many others. (bars, etc.) The web-site is not the easiest to use, but once you get the hang of it, you can navigate pretty easily.

B

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I personally think that gold and silver are overheated. That's not to say that they can't or won't go up some more, I just think that there is not much more "wiggle room" . Gold is at an historical high, and if you buy now, I think you are going to end up "buying high, and later selling low." You don't chase stocks at their high, so why buy a commodity that way. It WILL eventually go back down when the economy and the dollar recovers. (I am concerned for the dollar, though. If the Gov. doesn't quit overprinting it will never recover.) The silver picture, looks a little better, but not much. I think it might be good for around 25.00- 27.00 an ounce. ( I am discounting the historical silver high of 50.00 as that was a one time run at cornering the market by the Hunt Bros.) So don't be a lemming by jumping off of the gold cliff and buying now. It just does not make sense. Anyway, my point here is to say that personally, I think that Palladium is the way to go. I bought 100 ounces at 274.00 a few months ago. It is still reasonably priced at 325.00 an ounce, with lots of room for growth as it's high was 581.00. When the economy heats back up, if you bought now you could easily double your money in a few years.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe also, that, precious metals might be overinflated.

However, I also think that the economy WILL level out and probably go back down.

One thing about gold and silver, unlike anything else - it is ALWAYS worth something. Someone will always give you services for gold and/or silver, and I have never been able to put a price on that fact.

B

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
However, I also think that the economy WILL level out and probably go back down.

B
I agree- I think that with the recent rise in the markets, there will be another major down turn before the markets make healthy gains. (Although the fall will be nowhere as bad as before.) I think the recovery to previous market highs is 3-5 years out.

goldsworthy

Aug 2, 2009
I believe also that gold prices have reached their upper limit at this time. I have today sold $10,000 worth of my gold holdings to AMPEX at today's high spot price. Nothing wrong in taking a little profit off the table. I still have a good amount of the 1 ounce Gold eagles in the bank box. I figured the profit from my sale today lowered my price of the remaining Gold eagles down to under $400.00 each!. At $400.00 I believe I am safe as I dont think the price of gold will ever go that low again!. All bullion sales I made today were in the form of 1 ounce Pamp gold bars with Assay cards. Although the Pamps are nice the Gold eagles are a better investment form of gold. The price may well increase in the near future but as my mama used to say "BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY!" there was something else my mama said, something about life and a box of chocolates but I cant quite remember it all LOL!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Rasputin said:
Fistfulladirt said:
"When the economy heats back up" Yeah. I see that happening!
So you think the economy will never recover? I guess you think that the world will end in 2012 also. What a sheep.

Since you seem to know so much you feel the need to insult people who have different views than you do, why don't you tell us WHY you think the economy is going to recover and HOW it will do so and WHEN it will take place. Please be specific in your answer.

Jim

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
My sincerest apologies to Fistfulladirt. My intent was not to attack you personally, but to address your fatalist views on the economy. I am sorry that I made it personal, that was not my intent. To Jim4silver: I am not an economist and do not present myself as such. The opinions in my posts, are just that, my opinions. We both know that I do not know the date the economy will recover and It is always an educated guess on anyone's part while they analyze the key economic indicators. How is it going to recover? Because America is the most productive country in the world. Why is it going to recover? The short answer is because it always does.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
My Very Newbi uneducated guess is gold and silver is very underated and the dollar is past overrated.
Gold and silver should be considered as SHORT term investments. So you spin the dice.
Im still holding on to what very little I have (thinking of cashing in some gold,as Im winning for now) and buying silver when i can afford it.

IMO

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I find a lot of my silver at yard sales and buy some from people that I know that want to get closer to spot price then shops will pay for them.
I even found a coin shop that sometimes gets enough silver in that they will sell it slightly cheaper to study customers who will buy in higher volume. Taking the price down a few cents per ounce every time they reach a certain number of ounces per sales.

I get most of my gold from prospecting or jewelry from yard sales and thrift stores that don't scarf it up before it goes out. I take my fine and flour gold to a local refinery and have in smelted into ingots and keep my nuggets in vials and pokes. Broken jewelry and carat jewelry, I have refined and put into ingots also.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
I searched
tn_02.gif
and found some interesting threads relating to buying gold, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread