SOME questions?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Im wondering about Coin Silver jewelry.
Im "guessing" it was made from coins so is about 90%, But what im wondering on, is when did they quit marking it as "coin silver" and lean more towrd sterling? I like Coin silver jewelry and fruit knives Because I belive it to be Old, could I be wrong?

You can tell victorian age fruit knives by design, but old Indian jewelry marked Coin silver is what Im intrested in, not because its any more valuable mind you, but because (Im guessing agien), that its probaly mid 1800's does this sound right?

I did Find a Ring marked Coin in one of the floor digs yrs ago (im sure it was victorian age). But mainly im Intrested in silver Victorian Knives and Indian jewlery, and wonder if it being marked "Coin silver" is a good indication of its age???.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TEXAN Connection said:
Im "guessing" it was made from coins so is about 90%,
...if it being marked "Coin silver" is a good indication of its age?
Depends on where it was made. If I remember correctly mexican coins were 80% and a lot of jewelry was made from them in mexico. I still find jewelry, stamped "MEXICO" that is silver but reads less pure than 925 on my tester. So I am sure they used old coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread