ARA gold prices - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1991 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: ARA gold prices

Quote Originally Posted by EARL51
    I sent in a lot with stones in almost all the pieces. No blue stones came back.
    Are you also talking about ARA? I find it hard to believe you are. They send back the tiniest stones, and it costs them extra in postage to send. I just got a check from them with 9 diamonds attached, each stone no bigger than an ants head. I had to get my magnifying glass out just to see what they were. They bend over backwards to return all stones.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1991 times

Quote Originally Posted by hunz
    Hi, fellas new guy here. I came to this forum when seeking out a quality refiner and soon found that ARA was my choice. The first lot that I sent in returned a check for $208 and I had estimated $217 so pretty darn close. I later sent two more lots which has brought me to the point of making all of you aware of all refinery scheems............Once someone knows they have your patronage, they will take you for everything you are worth. I will never use ARA ever again.
    I can't believe that. I have used them at least ten times. Just got a check from them (for gold) and it was about $40 more than expected. I always electronically test and weigh. I have a silver shipment in now.

There was only one time i had a problem, but not with ARA. I sent in a heavy bracelet. It tested funny on my GT3000 sometimes 14K sometimes junk. I even took it to a jewelry store that advertised they buy gold. They had problems figuering it out. So I sent it in as the only thing on my order and got a check for around $5 if I remember correctly. Turned out to be gold filled but not marked, there were no clasps on it.
    I am going to still use them, they always give good service and are fast. The only reason it takes two weeks to get a check is because of travel time with the post office.

us
    Nov 2006
    MA
    Minelab XTerra 70
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdan
    I sent in a lot with stones in almost all the pieces. No blue stones came back.
    Are you also talking about ARA? I find it hard to believe you are. They send back the tiniest stones, and it costs them extra in postage to send. I just got a check from them with 9 diamonds attached, each stone no bigger than an ants head. I had to get my magnifying glass out just to see what they were. They bend over backwards to return all stones.
    Believe it. Oh it was ARA alright. Talked very nice on the phone and I had some of those itty bitty diamonds come back also. But no blue stones, and they were in a nice piece of jewelery.

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1991 times

Believe it. Oh it was ARA alright.But no blue stones, and they were in a nice piece of jewelery.
    Very sorry to hear that. I almost always pull big stones before sending. Not because I think they will get lost, but because I want a more accurate weight for calculations.

us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    1991 times

Quote Originally Posted by joesen
    So basically they paid me $150 to be on hold for 20 mins. I would do that all day long, lol I would very highly recommend them. And wouldn't even consider a different refiner !
    That is how I feel too, sometimes they can get very busy. I will have to ask John to put me on hold next time I call.

us
    Nov 2006
    MA
    Minelab XTerra 70
    31 times

I didn't say they kept the stones on purpose. My question was what could have dissolved them? Maybe they missed placed them but I was told maybe dissolved.

us
    Dec 2009

For what it's worth, I've dealt with ARA several times now, and so far each time has been a good experience.

Before I send in anything, I try to verify the purity and record the weight of my finds.

The same can be said before I buy any jewelry, I check it out carefully.

I use a 10x loop, a strong rare earth magnet, an acid test kit, and later I got a GT-3000 electronic tester.

ARA has always sent back any stones, and I've not been disappointed in the payout.

I sent ARA some gold filled items, and they even sent back a baggie of the non-precious metal core pieces that didn't dissolve. One example was the upper portion of a vintage class ring which had tested out at 9K. This is very helpful in my opinion, because it shows me that they extracted and paid for all of the gold - I can deduct the weight of the returned junk metal and calculate that I was paid properly.

us
    Jul 2010
    Miami/Ftlauderdale.
    ExcalII

I dont post much but for what its worth i have dealt with ARA and John on several ocassions and have nothing but confidance in there honesty!

All gold and silver i have sent in (several batches) have gotten me a check for the amount i had expected. I have been so happy with there service and turn around time that i even suggested them to my brother when he told me he had some gold to refine.

I have used Midwest as well with no issues but liked that i could get John (ARA) on the phone and check my order at the drop of a dime.

my 2cents.....Clam16.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20715 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Has anyone shipped gold to ARA recently? I have a small coffee tub that is half full. Mostly 14kt. I'm looking for recent experiences with them.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    E-Trac Wizard

May 2016
    Chester County, PA
    E-Trac
    68 times
    Metal Detecting
    Their website says that they do not deal with the public. I have an account with them from years ago, and sent them an e-mail to still see if they deal with detectorists, and they did not reply.

I sent my stuff to Midwest instead.

Hard to say if Midwest was fair. I was sending silver; they gave me fair market price, but claim it assayed out at 86% rather than 92.5%. Admittedly, not all was stamped jewelry; some was scrap from some sort of decoration, so it is hard to tell. Not alot of money involved, so I let it go.
    Oldest: 1755 reale; 1800 half dime | 1830 bust half | 1842 seated half | 1857 & 1876CC seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links