Selling jewelry

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Im going to be hitting a few places in town tomorrow to try to sell off some unwanted jewelry to make some extra money for a trip during spring break. I am generally knowledgeable about gold and silver prices I have two 14k gold rings with 5 mm blue topazes in them, about a half an ounce of silver, and some other pieces which have markings, but I cannot figure out. One says 18KGP orKGF, and there are a few others with worn markings I cannot make out. I also have a damaged Wm. A Rogers silverplated coffee pot by Oneida that weighs about fiv pounds (yeah, I know it is not solid silver).

Basically, if someone tries to screw me, I can walk and still have the stuff. Oh, Ialso have about a dozen loose topazes between four and 15mm in size. Now, will my best bet be to go to a jeweler first, or try the pawnshops? I figure the jewelry stores would be a better bet.

Any ideas?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
1) I have two 14k gold rings with 5 mm blue topazes in them, about a half an ounce of silver

2) and some other pieces which have markings...says 18KGP orKGF,

3) Rogers silverplated coffee pot by Oneida that weighs about fiv pounds.

4) dozen loose topazes between four and 15mm in size.

5) go to a jeweler first, or try the pawnshops?
Lots of questions, I will try and answer.
1) send to a refinery. Stones won't get too much. Refineries do not buy.

2) 18KGP = gold plated (worthless)
KGF = gold filled (value is based on weight and the fraction 1/10? or 1/20?
most refineries will not buy. My favorite requires 500 gram minimum, I now have about 300 grams so I buy.

3) sorry, worthless.

4) real jewelry store maybe.

5) go to a refinery, send me a PM I will explain. If you send today you will probably get a check back by break time. (2 weeks?)

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I will just keep the stuff, since I was basically lied to. I can see the marking that says 14K on one of the rings, and the gold buyer tried to tell me that it was really 10K. I will just hold on to it, and see what happens with gold and silver prices. May try to sell the gems on feeBay.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Silver plate was often laid over copper.....so you may have 5lbs of copper scrap.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
I can see the marking that says 14K on one of the rings, and the gold buyer tried to tell me that it was really 10K.
Never believe the karat markings on any gold until you confirm yourself. Your 14K is probably 13.5K or 13K. By law (blame the politicians that were probably paid off by the gold lobby) they can by .5K to 1K off depending on the way it was made. I doubt that the ring is 4K off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions