be suspicious if the metals dealer offers dollars ANYWAY even if it isnt real

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
wow my gold pocketwatch find. was real. i got all excited . then i was told

isnt real. bummer. but the dealer offer me a few buckz anyway. well i know this old guy that can reuse part of the case etc. i almost went for it.

a few dollars better than nothing. but luckily i decided to keep it because

it meant something to me because i had dug it. i watched dejectedly as the

first jewler who ill now refer to as the gyp. did his acid test and got the green fizz.

wow but how come its marked 14k. oh on these old pocket watches

it just means the plating is 14k. uh huh..

then i take to a good guy who was honest. he does acid test differnt result.

yep gold.

standing offer to buy at 250 he sez has about 310 gold valu.

how could this be. i didnt sell still confused

then browsing tonite i see this post in anotherthread by silver surfer :
I took a ring to a jeweler to be checked... He used ONE bottle and told me "it's not gold".... I then ordered a testing kit for myself and then tested 14k... Nope... Tested 10k... Yep...
I, of course, will never use that jeweler again... When he tested it, I had no idea there were different bottles for different karat percentages...
You need to take some of that $480 and buy a testing kit...

Beautiful find btw...

this was buried in the other thread which had a lot of replies....i have attributed this quote to him so i hopE it ok to pull it from said thread where u can find it.

ANYWAY THE BOTTOM LINE HERE IS:

my item did not magically change from gold to not gold

UNSCRUPULOUS GOLD BUYERS HAVE A WAY TO RIP FOLKS OFF

THAT I HAD NEVER HEARD OF BEFORE.

they bring out an acid that test for almost pure gold. almost any piece tested will fail. then make up an excuse why the piece is still worth SOMETHING.

yeah that ring sure looks likegold but as u can see from the test it izznt.

however my gramma used to have a ring that looked identical so ill offer

a few dollars for it as a keepsake of her. or we wholesale this costume

stuff to someone else. but il offer xxx i can still make a FEW bux on it.

what BS .i thought i was informed. NOT !

one thing i still cant figure out is if they do this a lot how do they find anything to buy.

or perhaps this works so well that they get WINDFALLS so much they could care less.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Some years ago 60 minutes did a story on jewelers that swap high quality diamonds for lesser grade diamonds in rings brought in for cleaning, etc.
Oftentimes it was antique rings that had high quality stones that were swapped. The average person can't tell the difference, but under magnification it is noticable.

They 'mapped' one (showed minute flaws which identified it), and then took it to a New York jeweler they were watching (named Goldstein or something like that), and sure enough, it got swapped. But they could prove it, because of the mapping. When they went in with the cameras, the guy went crashing out the back way, but police were waiting.

Not sure what ever happened, but it goes to show, you can't trust so many of those guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions