why gold and silver are only worth anything if fiat currency holds

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
People who like to invest in precious metals when paper money seems to having a hard time have problem as well. As an investor myself, I must realize that without monopoly money, my metals would be worthless too. There must be economy, democrocy, and free trade.
While a metal based currency is how it's been in the past, the truth is, with today's massive expansion, your pile of silver or gold coins won't buy more gasoline than say a pile of arcade tokens.
Why? Because by then, there is no gasoline to buy, and gold and silver are just trinkets useful only for melting into ammunition and weapons.
But, this progression of thought would take around 100 years, until full collapse of any market except raw survival resources... like, food, and clean water.

So, what sort of invesments are you into?
I'd like to think my short term metal investments will help future generations and myself survive through these hard times,
because, let's face the facts.. It's a great idea to save metal these days..But , how long will gold still be worth anything.

I know what' you're thinking! So don't worry this is just my 2 cents , clearly not worth the scrutiny the experts could provide.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FiresEye said:
People who like to invest in precious metals when paper money seems to having a hard time have problem as well. As an investor myself, I must realize that without monopoly money, my metals would be worthless too. There must be economy, democrocy, and free trade.
While a metal based currency is how it's been in the past, the truth is, with today's massive expansion, your pile of silver or gold coins won't buy more gasoline than say a pile of arcade tokens.
Why? Because by then, there is no gasoline to buy, and gold and silver are just trinkets useful only for melting into ammunition and weapons.
But, this progression of thought would take around 100 years, until full collapse of any market except raw survival resources... like, food, and clean water.

I'd like to think my short term metal investments will help future generations and myself survive through these hard times,
because, let's face the facts.. It's a great idea to save metal these days..But , how long will gold still be worth anything.

I know what' you're thinking! So don't worry this is just my 2 cents , clearly not worth the scrutiny the experts could provide.

My goal is long term physical silver with some gold mixed in. My goal is at least 2,000 oz by my retirement in 15 years not including
junk silver. I am guessing that silver will be pushing $100.00 an oz by then. If that is the case my morgan collection would be
pretty much gone as well but it would make a nice nest egg to help out with the pension and SS.

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FiresEye said:
The World is expanding in numbers...Which is why it might be harder to get gold or silver and even more why there are as valuable as there were thousands of years ago in practically every continent, and it would probably be the same in the next millienium... your also saying Its useless having gold and silver in a real economic chaos catastrophe!! dont buy gold, invest in food and water and bullets. You cant eat your gold.... No you cant..Thats why you use your gold and silver to buy Food, water, guns, bullets, housing, etc

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
FiresEye said:

Wow, I don't even know where to begin with all of that.......stuff. Lets start with the current american fiat currency. That would be the green stuff you may or may not have in your wallet. This currency was born Aug. 15, 1971 when nixon took us off the gold standard. On that day, our currency joined the ranks of every other fiat currency on the planet: Of no tangible value, only good because we say its good. Unfortunately, there have been multitudes of fiat currencies all over this globe for hundreds of years and every one of them has failed. EVERY ONE! The average lifespan of a fiat currency is 38 to 40 years. The USD is still the world reserve currency with about a 63% holding right now but that number has been steadily nosediving for about a decade. The USD continues to hemmorhage its guts out with every anouncement of QE, QE2, QE12 etc. etc. as Bernanke furthers his attemps to devalue our way out of a recession.

Now lets get to the value of precious metals. First, they have been valued by almost every civilization on this planet since before the time of Jesus. Can't really say that about the USD (aka monopoly money). PM's were here first and used as currency and will be valued long after the death of any fiat currency, including ours. I hope you own some, because in a currency crisis, it's very likely you may depend on PM's solely to provide for yourself and your family. Your PM's will be valued virtually everywhere on the planet, even at a time your country's currency may not. Your stocks and greenbacks would make nice kindling at such a time. I really hope for the very best for all of us, but it may not be a bad idea to know what is possible and plan for the very worst. In the meantime, PM's are kicking a$$ in monopoly money prices and I'm really not sure if thats good or bad. JJ

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
FiresEye said:

The answer is in your question: It may take 100 years for people to see silver and gold as "just another metal". Are you planning 100+ years in the future? Why?

In my uneducated opinion, a can of beans is worth everything a starving person owns. It doesn't take 100 years to starve, it takes about 1 month. The reason we aren't all selling everything we own for more canned goods is because we don't believe it's going to happen. If I did, I wouldn't waste time posting on TN.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another opinion...Maybe even an "expert" opinion...

http://lewrockwell.com/north/north436.html

Make of it what you will. Just for the sake of debate, lets say that he is right and the bears are right. If all the monopoly paper goes bad and the world decides that we are no longer a good risk compared to other economies, which metal will be more valuable per ounce for trade and barter? Which will be more transportable? Which will buy more goods? Which one has for thousands of years been regarded as the standard of trade?

It will never happen, of course. We are just dealing in hypothetical possibilities ............................of course.......................... :toothy2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions