Is something happening with my local gold/silver buyers???

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am buying about 5 ounces of things marked sterling. Two of the items read low on my digital tester (about 205 when sterling usually reads 265) They are marked sterling so I was concerned. So I decided to play dumb and go to my local competition to try and sell both pieces, total weight about 82 grams.

The first 3 places said they do not buy silver anymore :dontknow: One guy gave a lame excuse that the person that he sells to has too much and he can't get rid of it right now. The other two stores didn't know why they didn't. Fineally the 4th store (who advertises everywhere that they guarantee the best payout) said they buy silver said they will buy it. Now I can get it checked. She waved a magnet across both pieces and then put it on a scale and offered me $29.00 I was impressed ??? she didn't even need to use a calculator to come up with that price.

I asked her if she needed to test it and she said it passed the magnet test. I knew to test for iron but that was all with a magnet. I played dumb and asked why a magnet, she said if it had steel the magnet would stick and if it was silver the silver would repell the magnet :dontknow: :dontknow: Maybe she has a special anti-silver magnet?

Any way I left without selling to her for $29 I didn't want to lose money because I am paying $48.00 for $71 worth of silver.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: I something happening with my local gold/silver buyers???

Haha, sounds as if the gold buying places may be having to get rid of their "newly wise" employees as they learn how things work and replace them with brain surgeons who arent smart enough to figure out the business and continue working for $8 an hour.

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I something happening with my local gold/silver buyers???

hey cyberdan i dont know about you but seems that the holiday season I was averaging 300 grams a week on gold buying...and before the holiday season it was around 100 grams a week... heh tis the season

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread