billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a gold filled ring at a garage sale last weekend for $15, but didn't buy it because it seemed overpriced.... I can understand how pressed metal like watch cases can be gold filled, but I don't understand how a cast ring is classified as gold filled.

Can you explain how a ring is classified gold filled and if stamped "1/20 14kt gold filled" how to know the price of what it's worth if sent to a refiner?

Thanks,

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
billjustbill said:
I saw a gold filled ring at a garage sale last weekend for $15, but didn't buy it because it seemed overpriced.... I can understand how pressed metal like watch cases can be gold filled, but I don't understand how a cast ring is classified as gold filled.

Can you explain how a ring is classified gold filled and if stamped "1/20 14kt gold filled" how to know the price of what it's worth if sent to a refiner?

Thanks,

Hi Bill,
Yup, overpriced. Your instinct was correct.
I think it says Gold Filled (GF) just to fake people out. It's just plated. "1/20 14k gold filled" if my maths corrects (maybe not) it would be 0.7K for just the plating...
Generally try and buy GF items from $.25-$1.00. I have not sent to refiners yet, still collecting. Keep an eye out for glasses, rings, watch bands ect...
Cyberdan did a great post on this if you search.

Hope this helps, Sean

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEANO said:
billjustbill said:

Thanks,

Hi Bill,
Yup, overpriced. Your instinct was correct.
I think it says Gold Filled (GF) just to fake people out. It's just plated. "1/20 14k gold filled" if my maths corrects (maybe not) it would be 0.7K for just the plating...
Generally try and buy GF items from $.25-$1.00. I have not sent to refiners yet, still collecting. Keep an eye out for glasses, rings, watch bands ect...
Cyberdan did a great post on this if you search.

Hope this helps, Sean
mann i would not even deal with GF stuff

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The main problem with gold filled is that you have to accumulate a large quantity before you can send it to the refiner. IMO that means you have to buy dirt cheap. I'm only willing to pay a couple dollars an ounce. Most of the gold filled I have accumulated comes from buying bulk lots of costume jewelry that had a couple pieces of gold and/or sterling mixed in.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blai745 said:
mann i would not even deal with GF stuff
send it to me. :icon_thumright:
Here is a copy of my post on my GF refining.

I am disappointed in the payout! That's my report!

First I have to say I trust my refinery to payout on what they got. My refinery is ARA and they have always come right in where I thought they would.

ARA has a minimum requirement on refining gold filled. It is 500 grams. It took me over one year to accumulate that much, one piece at a time.

I sent in exactly 500 grams and based on my calculations I expected $556 but I only got $349. I wrote a spreadsheet that formulated on the gold fraction (1/20 or whatever) and the mark (12K or whatever) and the weight in grams. For most of the year I calculated I would get about $1 per gram. Everybody knows that a 14K ring is really 13.5 or even less. You just can't trust jewelry manufacturers. I guess that holds true for GF makers too. Also, because GF only has precious metals on the outside and most GF is older any wear at all wears off the gold.

So what I have done is adjusted my spreadsheet to show a 38% discount because that is how much it is off. Next year, when I send in another batch I think I will be closer on the numbers.

By the way that 500 grams of GF only cost me $131 so I still made good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread