Saw a unique way of testing for Sterling Silver: Is it accurate?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the local flea market this weekend and again talked with some younger fellows who were into metal detecting some, but mainly into buying and selling silver and gold.

He showed me how to check for Sterling using a gold acid testing kit...

He took his black scratch pad and rubbed a piece of .925 on it, forming one line. Using "18kt" acid, he said if it is true "Sterling" the testing acid will turn the place a light blue. It did. Then he said you can use the "14kt" acid and it will turn Sterling a 'milky white'.

Ever heard of this testing? Do you think this is accurate?

CyberDan, do you think using these processes are as accurate as the electronic machine you've learned to test Sterling with?

Thanks,
Bill

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
billjustbill said:
do you think using these processes are as accurate as the electronic machine you've learned to test Sterling with?
I guess it might work if he is sure what he was testing was sterling. To me it would be messy and time consuming. I don't want to be working with acids in the field especially at a yard sale.

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually use the 18k acid method all the time. BTW 18k acid and black stone is one of the best ways to test silver and it should be a blotchy cloudy white for 90% silver and up. And I do this for a living buying Scrap gold and silver. I also sometimes use the RED silver acid just to be sure... I believe they dont make an electronic silver tester... Plus if you know what your doing.. 99.99% your acid is right on. And for thicker items use a filer.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blai745 said:
I believe they dont make an electronic silver tester
You are right no makes or advertises they make an electronic silver tester. I talked to the owner of Tri-Electronics and explained to me how to use his GT-3000 to test silver. And so far it is right on. I do not think his other machines will do that.

JaxandJAy

Dec 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually use the 18k acid method all the time. BTW 18k acid and black stone is one of the best ways to test silver and it should be a blotchy cloudy white for 90% silver and up. And I do this for a living buying Scrap gold and silver. I also sometimes use the RED silver acid just to be sure... I believe they dont make an electronic silver tester... Plus if you know what your doing.. 99.99% your acid is right on. And for thicker items use a filer.

I would love your answer for 18k silver testing, please. I was always told that the 18k turns a whitish-blue which means positive for silver content. I keep hearing everyone say that it is sterling the minute it lights up with the bluish-white color. Are these novices and they are wrong? I suspect they are. My understanding is that the only way to tell purity was with the actual silver acid. Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love your answer for 18k silver testing, please. I was always told that the 18k turns a whitish-blue which means positive for silver content. I keep hearing everyone say that it is sterling the minute it lights up with the bluish-white color. Are these novices and they are wrong? I suspect they are. My understanding is that the only way to tell purity was with the actual silver acid. Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Well first off this thread baffles me... For... 18k has been THE test for silver for EONS.

Bluish white is result.

The "silver testing solution" is only used ON the silver itself... not with a stone.

Items that lets say are of suspect to be of a thicker plate should be filed with a file and then silver solution applied directly into file mark.

Buy / trust nothing for any real money that is marked "925" - "sterling" without testing if you are not familiar with silver to begin with.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well first off this thread baffles me... For... 18k has been THE test for silver for EONS.

Bluish white is result.

The "silver testing solution" is only used ON the silver itself... not with a stone.

Items that lets say are of suspect to be of a thicker plate should be filed with a file and then silver solution applied directly into file mark.

Buy / trust nothing for any real money that is marked "925" - "sterling" without testing if you are not familiar with silver to begin with.

So true, and many think the country of origin is a fail proof. But where did the country of origin purchase the material/item in the first place.

I witnessed this first hand in Bali in the silver centre of Celuk.
The one manufacturer was just finishing up weighing up KGs of silver "Rope chains" for the neck & wrist.
The guy left and the silversmith commented that they make them, then they are brought back to Italy stamped "Italy .925"

The finishing comment of the silversmith was "We get no credit for our work/design-they take all the credit"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Thread!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread