cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a white chain. The oval connector was stamped 14K Italy and the lobster clasp was stamped 583. Funny thing it was attracted to my magnet.
Sticking to my magnet and the ITALY stamp made me 75% sure it was fake but I also had over half ounce of silver in my hand too.

When I got around to electronically testing the clasp checked out at 13.5K but still stuck to my magnet. So I tore it apart and found a very tiny steel spring. So that was the culpret. So I started to put my testing tools away and realized I hadn't checked the chain. It tested as junk. >:( I tested in 3 places, still junk. At least I got some gold. :icon_thumleft: I threw the chain in the kitchen trash. I started putting all away again and realized my tester was not plugged into my test board. So time to do some trash digging. I found it, it had sunk half way down. Tested it and found it was 13K ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Yes it helps if things are plugged in. ;D

Good story though. I am curious, is there an approx for how many yard sales it takes to find something good like that?

I see them advertised around here all the time and I never go, I figure I waste enough time CRHing and I don't need a new "hobby".

Jim

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
A)I am curious, is there an approx for how many yard sales it takes to find something good like that?

B)I waste enough time CRHing and I don't need a new "hobby".

Jim,
A) I hit 25-35 yardsales every saturday morn. Leave at 6:45 and back around lunch. About 20-25 are on my planned route based on advertisements. The rest are signs I follow. I always find silver and sometimes gold.

B) This "hobby" has already paid off enough to put my daughter through college. (two down and three to go, it's a 5 year major)

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missboy said:
what kind of electric tester do you use & where do you find one?
I have a Tri-Electronics GT3000 I got mine on ebay thru IGEM. Better prices than their website and I think free shipping. (about $200) It is accurate within a half karat.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Heck of a story Dan I can just picture it now. Had a good laugh. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions